Felt F95 Bottom Bracket Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi All,

After thinking it was the back wheel/hub on my Felt F95 that was causing a bit of a grinding noise, I thought I'd whip the chainset off and check the bottom bracket before ordering new hubs etc. I know manufacturers traditionally skimp on BB's but the one on my bike is so lumpy in action, and almost feels like there is no grease in it at all. It's a bit disappointing, as the bike has covered less than 400 miles.

As it is a square taper axle I need, I'm looking to buy a Shimano UN55, as they always gave me very reliable service on my MTB's years ago. Chain Reaction have them for less than £10 which seems like a bargain.

The BB shell on my frame is 68mm and the axle is 110mm, but I also need to know if it is English thread or Italian thread. Are any of you guys able to advise me on this. Always used to be English thread for my MTB's but I know road bikes can be different.

Any tips gratefully received, thanks.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
English.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

I've done 150 miles on my felt z100 and the bottom bracket is so stiff. Obviously somewhere felt scrimp a little
I know what you mean Speedfreak. When I took the cranks off I could barely turn the BB axle by hand. There's no play in it at all, but it's just very stiff and very rough. I know the BB is always the first component on any bike to be downgraded in order to help it come in at a price point, but this really was a very poor unit. Unacceptably poor in my opinion. Oh well, just under a tenner for a pretty good quality Shimano replacement unit will see me right!

MattDB

Über Member
I bought an f95 and it clicked on every revolution. I'd had this before with a broken bb and I told the retailer about this. They replied 'the manufacturers don't use enough grease, try regreasing before replacing. I slapped on a good dollop of the red stuff and after some riding the click was gone :smile:

(I'll miss out the part about not seeing the L and R on the bb and spending hours trying to get the gears to shift properly;))

Top Bottom