Felt like I was run over this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jmaccyd

Someone asked about double red lines, they are the markings for Red Routes and Taxis are allowed to stop to pick up or set down (ie no waiting)

As for some of the other statements to sad for words really. I thought that it was just some taxi drivers that displayed ignorant, stereotyped and bigoted views. It seems to be spreading to some cyclists as well

The point is (not wiping any bile off my shirt) how do things get better? If the road is viewed as a battleground, something to be thought over and other groups on the road are then viewed as enemies/foes/opponents then we are in a downwards spiral. How do things get better?

domtyler

Über Member
jmaccyd said:
Someone asked about double red lines, they are the markings for Red Routes and Taxis are allowed to stop to pick up or set down (ie no waiting)

As for some of the other statements to sad for words really. I thought that it was just some taxi drivers that displayed ignorant, stereotyped and bigoted views. It seems to be spreading to some cyclists as well

The point is (not wiping any bile off my shirt) how do things get better? If the road is viewed as a battleground, something to be thought over and other groups on the road are then viewed as enemies/foes/opponents then we are in a downwards spiral. How do things get better?

Well, I'm off home now, am I looking forward to my ride home? Nope, I can virtually guarantee that I will be being hassled by a black cab driver within the first two minutes. See you lot later.

OP
OP
T
jmaccyd said:

UNfortunately, jmaccyd, I have had more deliberate and dangerous abuse from cabbies than from any other sector of the population. I've been assaulted, insulted and just plain driven-at by cabbies many, many times. I'm reporting as I find, nothing else.

Tynan

Veteran
oh dear, I find black cabs on my route good, professional rather than considerate, they regular follow me politely when I'm in primary and pass safely when I move over, they get a wave from me

bete noires for me remain 4x4s/jeeps/MPVs with white transits a close second

the big trucks are generally excellent

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
jmaccyd said:

Nicely 'un-aimed' post there jmaccyd, and point taken.
It is a chicken and egg situation, I only started to 'generally' lose respect for Cab drivers once I found that repeated experiences of agressive and bullying driving were not exclusive to my tiny world.

I maintain my 'general' opinion while a considerable portion of London Cab drivers, IMO, can only approach discussion on these issues from the 'you shouldn't be allowed on the road in the first place', school of knucle scraping and unarguable arguments.

Some think I'm scum for being on the road and I think they are scum too for thinking that, and only that.
Becuase after that there is no further dialogue possible.

Alternatively, if I were to approach a cabby and ask if he has a spare 5 mins to talk about his driving ...........9/10 cases, you know what I'd get told to go and do to myself.

Last year I helped a cyclist who had a possible broken shoulder from a cab door, opened by the fare(who legged it) while in traffic on London Bridge.
When I asked the cabby why his doors weren't locked in traffic he went white and said, ''s'not my problem M8 it was the passengers fault.' He then walked backwards to his cab and p*ss*d off before the Police arrived or anyone could get his reg & licence number sadly, 'cos he would probably been stuffed had this matter been further investigated.

Now what I 'generally' thought was just lack of courtesy starts to border on real inhumanity.

My holding these opinions while cycling causes no real harm, I don't pick fights with cabs or deliberately get in their way and I have never knowingly endangered or hit a cab or made the driver feel their life was at risk.
But on the other hand, give some budding Littlejohn's 2 tonne of Black Cab an endorsment from the Queen and the attitude I'm discussing here and the self inflated bully on my back wheel appears again.

jmaccyd, I am not aiming any of this at you or at every single cab driver, that would be barking at the choir.
I am not harbouring hatred but I will voice disgust at what I see as an untennable agument: all bikes shouldn't be on the road vs.can we look at this from both sides, please? This is the summery of my 20 years London cycling experience to date and I have no idea either how to bridge this divide.

T x

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Tynan said:
the big trucks are generally excellent

I find when I'm on the trike the 'big guys' are the most courteous and acknowledge my being on the road more than some other cyclists do!

Down the Old Kent Road one time I had a great game of pass and catch up with a HUGE mobile crane, having a chat at traffic lights thru the window of his LHD cab.

It's not all bad I suppose.:smile:

T x

jmaccyd

jmaccyd, I am not aiming any of this at you or at every single cab driver, that would be barking at the choir.
I am not harbouring hatred but I will voice disgust at what I see as an untennable agument: all bikes shouldn't be on the road vs.can we look at this from both sides, please? This is the summery of my 20 years London cycling experience to date and I have no idea either how to bridge this divide.

Well indeed, I have to agree (barking at the choir - must remember that one!) How to get things better is my main plea!

Actually, my 'only' collision with a cyclist in fifteen years was when, in heavy traffic and with no warning, the passenger made a quick decision to jump out without looking, unseating a rider on my nearside. Didn't have a chance to utter any sort of warning as the first I knew he was getting out was when he popped the door. Just for information doors on Taxis can be opened if the handbrake is applied and there is no pressure on the footbrake. Rider Ok but a bit shaken and she swapped insurance details with the passenger although she was fine to ride on. Not really a lot I could do, but has made me doubly aware to watch the inside if passenger are going to alight somewhere unexpected

LOGAN 5

Twenty Inch said:
UNfortunately, jmaccyd, I have had more deliberate and dangerous abuse from cabbies than from any other sector of the population. I've been assaulted, insulted and just plain driven-at by cabbies many, many times. I'm reporting as I find, nothing else.

Me too. If I'd not experienced all the bad behaviour from cabbies I wouldn't be posting about it. Sadly a lot of them (yes a lot rather than a few) are bullies. When I see one approaching in my mirror I dread whatever he's going to do next eg the close shave overtake and swerve back bit or beeping if he can't barge past etc.

As Domtyle above says I too get hassled by cabs within minutes of leaving work. Just have to look out for them and get in the right position to fend them off before they get the opportunity to drive dangerously close.

Observations and experience do not make me bigoted or ignorant just truthful.

Top Bottom