Female comfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
A question for the ladies… out of nowhere my non-cyclist wife asked if she could jump on Zwift this afternoon and unfortunately (but not unsurprisingly) found it immediately uncomfortable and only managed 20 minutes. She was on a men’s saddle and leaning forward on a cross bike (she isn’t used to the position of drop bars).

This is not an opportunity I want to miss so looking for top tips for female comfort please?

She’s had success in the past with a Body Geometry saddle on a hybrid bike but unfortunately the bike (and saddle) was stolen so will be getting a replacement Body Geometry saddle measured on the foam cushion!

Anything else I might be missing through sheer ignorance?! Thank you 🙏

OP
OP
BurningLegs

BurningLegs

Veteran
I should probably add that she does have and was wearing her own bib shorts 🙂

Saddle nose down just a tad if on a road bike. Takes the pressure off the tender bits when leaning forward. It really does help, as I found out when I bought my first road bike.

The right width and shape of saddle is important too, but sounds like you've got the saddle sorted. Otherwise, a Charge Ladle / Madison Leia is a good bet.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can never get comfortable on a turbo due to the position and lack of movement while the bike is fine on the road.
I generally avoid indoor cycling other than in extremis.
Definitely a wsd saddle for in or outdoors riding

OP
OP
BurningLegs

BurningLegs

Veteran
We went to our LBS today and they spent almost an hour with her, looking at various things. She came away with a Specialized Turbo saddle which is markedly different to the saddle she was on yesterday - it’s the correct width for her, has the largest cut out I’ve ever seen on a saddle, slopes down at the nose, and has a short nose.

She sat on a few bikes and seems much more comfortable on a 52 frame (my turbo bike is 54), so I’ve put the saddle as far forward on the rails as possible and a little lower to try and reduce the reach.

She had a short 10 minute spin in jeans and said it was “night and day” compared with yesterday when she had padded bibs on. So far, so good :smile:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Visiting your LBS like you did was what I would have recommended BurningLegs 👍.

Saddles can be very personal to each rider, one may swear by a saddle that another may swear because of it! Ladies specific saddles are generically slightly wider with a shorter nose section, although many saddle designs have evolved along those lines so often they can used be by both sexes providing the size and shape is relevant to each user.

Generally there are a few pointers:

Sit bone width, many quality bike stores have a simple device to measure sit bone width similar to that shown below. Often this simple device is accurate enough to make sure the saddle is wide enough to support your sit bones; slightly wider than required is normally OK, so if a bike is being used by more than one rider you would make sure the person with the wider sit bone requirement has enough support. If it 's the front area of the saddle that is causing an issue this can often be helped lowering the nose of the saddle slightly.

Sit bones.jpg

Posture rating, in the pictures below that same rider will need a variety of saddles that matches the relevant riding position. You no doubt will have a rough idea of what posture you have on the bike and many brands will list a relevant saddle, again a quality bike store will be able to advise.

The correct bike fit is also a consideration, if that's wrong the rider may compensate by shifting to the wrong section of the saddle; that alone cause discomfort. It's not unusual that a rider will come in for a bike fit and reference that they are having saddle issues and as such they expect a different one is needed, only to find that when their bike fit is optimised the saddle that wasn't working for them now does; vice versa can apply of course.

Sitbone3.jpg

With or without a centre channel, like lowering the nose of the saddle as I referenced earlier this relates to the mid to front end of the saddle; ladies will also often desire a saddle with a centre channel to reduce soft tissue contact. A male may also choose one, the older we get as a male the larger our prostate will often become and saddle pressure can result in numbness, a centre channel or in the case of the saddle shown below a hole can help reduce that pressure.

Bontrager Verse Comp.jpg
Ticking all those boxes will normally be of value, although understandably saddle manufacturers are well aware that there is only so much analysis that it is appropriate any bike fitter or store will do; I am not medically trained Doctor after all. As such there are quite a few brands that have a comfort exchange option.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
You can make a good measure of sit bones with a piece of kitchen foil on a carpeted step.

Lean forward to an approximate riding position while sitting on the foil.

Take a measurement of the distance apart of the deepest impressions.

If less than 100mm you have a narrow sit bone width and a saddle of 130mm width would be appropriate.100-130mm is a medium sit bone width (saddle of 143mm width) and if greater than 130mm a wide sit bone width and a saddle of 155mm width is appropriate. Those saddle widths are as recommended by Specialized.

Come to think about it there must be a case for cycling shorts (etc) to equally be described as narrow, medium or wide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom