Female DC Connector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, Can anyone help and identify which female DC connector I need to join the pictured DC connector up to a simple holder with 4 AA batteries? There seem to be a whole host of different possibilities. The male connector is about 12mm long and 5mm diameter. Looking at some of the possibilities online, that may be 5.5mm diameter? It currently connects up to a low power solar panel (outdoors), but I'd like the ability to run it off some AA batteries when the weather is poor. I have the AA holder, just need to join the two wires up to a female DC connector.
Thanks ...
conn1.jpg
conn2.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can buy these from eBay. You'll need to identity the size.

Screenshot_20190923-164502.png

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
It looks like a 5.5mm diameter male DC jack. There are two variants....5.5 x 2.1 mm and 5.5 x 2.5mm. The last number refers to the hole down the centre.

Lumberg do a large range of DC jacks and sockets.

Any easy way to identify which given my lack of sub mm measuring skills?

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
I'm afraid it isn't easy whatever your measuring device. However...…………..lookee here...…..

https://forum.digikey.com/t/measuring-power-supply-barrel-plug-id-2-1mm-vs-2-5mm/401

Try this in the morning, thanks.

bruce1530

Guru
These things are a nightmare - the “outer” on both types is 5.5mm, but the “pin” is either 2.1 or 2.5.

And they’re not interchangeable.

if you try to use one with a 2.5mm pin in one with a 2.1mm “hole” (I’m trying to avoid using the words plug/socket or male/female, as the design of the connector means that each unit could be regarded as either plug or socket, depending on how you look at it), then the connectors simply will not fit together, as the pin is too wide.

The other way round, the thing will physically fit. You might even get a connection, but it’ll be unreliable.

Option 1. Buy one, try it, if it’s the wrong one, buy the other.
Option 2. Buy both. First one I found on eBay was £1.79 inc postage, so it won’t break the bank. If buying in bulk, price drops to pennies.
Option 3. Buy one of those spider multi-connectors and butcher it. Try home bargains, pound shop etc,

If you’re buying from eBay, and not comfortable soldering, then something like this might be easier.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-10Pcs...ter-Plugs-Jack-Socket-CCTV-Cable/312733368179

And make sure the polarity is right...

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
POSTSCRIPT: The Biro tip advice given by Digikey in my previous post is dodgy. I have Biro tips that are 2.1mm and 2.5mm.
Beware!

Toothpick one worked for me though. Got the connector yesterday and it runs the pump from a battery pack now. All set for some gloomy winter days.

Top Bottom