Fenders can’t be screwed on.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jesse Smith

Am I missing something here? I’m simply trying to put on fenders that came with the brand new bike, single speed, Schwinn Bikes, and the hole in them to get screwed on is too small.

4E6343A6-E4C9-443C-9E82-48DBC75844E5.jpeg

2F55E4BB-C84F-4FD1-9076-93E925A6986A.jpeg

EB5DFE53-ACE8-4F49-9709-C72436892929.jpeg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They normally go into a mounting point, rather than over the axle. Can't tell from those photos if your bike has mudguard mount points.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Maybe it is designed to NOT fit over the axle so it's fitted on the correct place!?

OP
OP
J

Jesse Smith

Instructions don’t show it connecting to the silver screw. Looks like one of them has a wrong part. Here’s a photo of one with the correct parts.

40A84299-6CCD-43DA-A701-181523A7272F.jpeg

Attachments

• CD3A1038-0149-4F33-A64E-A44B8E5321B8.jpeg
    CD3A1038-0149-4F33-A64E-A44B8E5321B8.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3866A665-AC8D-4B01-A3D4-343C6729CA2C.jpeg
    3866A665-AC8D-4B01-A3D4-343C6729CA2C.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 5

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Instructions don’t show it connecting to the silver screw. Looks like one of them has a wrong part. Here’s a photo of one with the correct parts.
The illustrated fitting looks unsafe to me, with no breakaways, so anything harder that the stay going into the spokes will result in the fender bending into the wheel, stopping it and causing an abrupt head first dismount. I'm not willing to help making a killer bike and suggest contacting the manufacturer. Hopefully they have improved the design and just sent the old instructions.

The illustrated fitting looks unsafe to me, with no breakaways, so anything harder that the stay going into the spokes will result in the fender bending into the wheel, stopping it and causing an abrupt head first dismount. I'm not willing to help making a killer bike and suggest contacting the manufacturer. Hopefully they have improved the design and just sent the old instructions.

Breakaway fixings should be mandatory on chromoplastic mudguards but metal ones do not fold up and jam in the fork gap in the same catastrophic way, and more brittle plastic will just shatter.
You can turn these into breakaway stays by filing the ends off so there is an open slot, not a hole.

richardfm

Veteran

View attachment 688228

That is showing one way of how the wheel is fitted in the fork. That doesn't mean your arrangement is wrong.
Just to the left if the number 5 you can see the fixing point for the fender and just below and to the left of that you can see the stay. The fixing point should be threaded, your silver coloured screw in the earlier photo attaches the stay at that point .
If you still can't see how to attach the fender I suggest a visit to a local bike shop as your next step.

Top Bottom