Ferries to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
wafflycat said:
If I'm crossing the Channel I much prefer the tunnel.

They won't take bikes though, will they?

Don't go to Le Havre if you're expecting to find a campsite as it closed some time ago. I found this out to my cost after cycling up a bleedin' great hill to it.

snorri

Legendary Member
Robert said:
It was Friday 29th May, but we did book it about nine months in advance.
When I used that ferry, I was cheaper buying the ticket on the day than another cyclist who had booked months in advance. You can't win with these cross channel ferries.:biggrin:

OP
OP
C

ch3

In the end I finally got my ferry ticket which makes my tour more official than ever!
46 pounds, Wednesday 18th August, 9.00am, Poole to Cherbourg and off I go!
=]

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well done Georgios - it's official!
Try to keep us informed of your progress en route. We feel a sense of ownership of your trip now!

OP
OP
C

ch3

Thank you Rich. It's is true, I've asked so many things in this forum over the last two months and taken so many valuable advices about the trip, that I feel I am not alone on this.
=]
At the moment I am a bit stressed, about the final arrangements for moving out of Uk for good and planning the trip in the same time, so I can't wait to start cycling and get used to the touring routine so I can relax again and enjoy it.

Apart from writing in the forum, I've set up this blog for the diary.

Manonabike

Über Member
Yesterday I booked a day trip to Cherbourg using the special offer from the Bournemouth Daily Echo. 2 adults + 2 bikes return = 40.00 This is the first trip we make like that and just one day will be enough for us.

Today is the last day to book ferries using the Daily Echo offer and you can travel between now and the 3rd of September I think. You need 3 coupons and I believe you can buy old papers from the Bournemouth Daily Echo officers in Bournemouth or Poole.

We will go in the fast ferry, standard seating, leaving at 7:30 am and arriving at 10:15 the return journey is at 6:30 pm but there is one at 11:30 too.

This is our first trip so any tips would be welcome :-)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Manonabike said:
Yesterday I booked a day trip to Cherbourg using the special offer from the Bournemouth Daily Echo. 2 adults + 2 bikes return = 40.00 This is the first trip we make like that and just one day will be enough for us.

Today is the last day to book ferries using the Daily Echo offer and you can travel between now and the 3rd of September I think. You need 3 coupons and I believe you can buy old papers from the Bournemouth Daily Echo officers in Bournemouth or Poole.

We will go in the fast ferry, standard seating, leaving at 7:30 am and arriving at 10:15 the return journey is at 6:30 pm but there is one at 11:30 too.

This is our first trip so any tips would be welcome :-)

Cycle on the right, don't eat any unopened mussels and wait while the seaman ties the bike up in the car deck. They can be a bit heavy handed so supervise or do it yourself.

Manonabike

Über Member
rich p said:
Cycle on the right, don't eat any unopened mussels and wait while the seaman ties the bike up in the car deck. They can be a bit heavy handed so supervise or do it yourself.

Thanks for that.

We are travelling very light, taking very few tools, two tubes and patches, power links, torches + spare batteries, mini pump... we decided against cycling gear - we don't want to be walking with cycling shoes or having to carry them. We hope everything goes well :becool:

Top Bottom