Fettling an Alfine 8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've got a bike back that has been on long term loan, it'd not been ridden in 12 months or so.

The Alfine 8 hub seems misaligned or as if the cable has slipped a lot (how??) - I've not checked it in detail yet, it as late yeaterday when I got it back.

If seems to spin ok in extreme gears but is very slippy and unridable evwn just spinning the pedals by hand in 4th.

I've got Sheldon's info and will be putting on a new cable and realigning the dots but are there any CC hints & tips or does it sound like it might be more of an internal/pawl problem?

It had a service and oil bath about 18 months ago.

T. I. A.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You say the hub seems misaligned.

Worth checking it's square in the drop outs and the axle nuts are tight.

The nuts on mine loosened, which led to poor shifting.

It was also impossible to align the dots.

The nuts were only just off tight, so it doesn't take much to put the hub out of adjustment.

The Alfine 8 is reckoned to be reliable, so if the above doesn't work, there's a realistic chance a properly installed cable will sort it.

Daft as it may sound, some Shimano gear hubs seem sensitive to chain tension.

The chain doesn't need to be taught as a bow string, but I would make sure there was very little slop in it.

outlash

also available in orange
As above, I took my Alfine'd bike out for a spin on Saturday and it wasn't performing as it should. turns out one side has a loose hub nut and chain tension screw. It's pretty straightforward to get the cable sorted, just stick the shifter in 4th and line up the green dots on the edge of the hub. I've got an in line adjuster on the cable which helps a great deal. Keep the chain tension fairly tight (tighter than you may think) and it should be ok.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@Pale Rider badly adjusted rather than physically misaligned, apols for my poor choice of words, I'd not checked its orientation in the dropouts though, I shall do so & the chain tension. Its a relatively new chain & I fitted it to the same link count as the existing one, but it had a new shop fitted EBB at the same time as the oil bath, that may have introduced some slack.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What can happen is pressure from pedalling pulls the drive side of the hub slightly forward in the drop out.

It seems to not take very much movement for the shift to be affected.

Design of the drop outs plays a part, the more vertical the better.

I suspect some makers slap an Alfine into a frame which is not well designed to take one.

A good solution is a pair of drop out chain tensioners, assuming they will fit.

batavus_chaintesioner.jpg

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Dismantled, refitted, re-cabled, checked the alignment and the chain was already pretty taut under the chainglider cover - tighter than I'd have on a derailleur bike - and it seems to be runni g quietly and smoothly in all gears now. A quick tootle round the block now and a more extensive test ride tomorrow, maybe scrub the inactivity off the brake pads and rotors too and reduce the squeal, if not they're coming to bits too for a dab of copperslip.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
1433854091668.jpg
Job done indeed. 12 uppy downy miles and a few flat bits accomplished in silent, smooth changing bliss on this beasite.

The brakes are playing nice too.

Really glad to have it back as my Ute bike.

Just need to put a suitable flap on the end of the rear mudguard and its all done again.

Top Bottom