few new cycle bits in Lidls Thursday 1st October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

ChrisM said:

But not in my local Lidl.

hongokongo

What exactly is 'soft shell' and would you wear the Winter cycling top under a Winter jacket? Too many choices!!!

HelenD123

Guru
Not stocking it in my local store either.

Big Jack Brass

hongokongo said:
What exactly is 'soft shell'...
"Soft shell" is one of those marketing labels that mean almost nothing, a bit like "light beer."

Originally soft shells were things like the Cloudveil Serendipity jacket. They're generally "quiet" materials rather than crinkly plastics, water resistant but by no means waterproof and lightly insulated. In essence, not as good in the rain as a waterproof, not as good in the cold as a fleece, not as good in the wind as a windproof top, but possibly a very good compromise depending on the conditions you expect to encounter. The Pile & Pertex clothes from Buffalo have a claim to being the first soft shells, although the term wasn't used when they came out.

Since then anything that's not a "hard shell" (i.e. properly waterproof materials such as eVent, Gore-Tex etc.) tends to be labelled "soft shell," so unfortunately you have to examine each garment to see whether it actually fits the old definition.

Manonabike

Über Member
.... and there was nothing in my local Lidl today and miraculously they disappear from the website. I asked for the cycling stuff and they said "The Cycling stuff was a few weeks ago but we have nothing like today"

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Jerseys, jackets and gloves in Stowmarket Lidls but most of the popular sizes had gone by the time I got there. Picked up a couple of jerseys, though.

The styles and colours are different from what they had a few weeks ago but the sizing is similar.

John

Top Bottom