fiddling with drop handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

This is worth noting
I thought so, which is why I quoted festival's comment as that seemed to have been ignored by those who followed.

The points which you make do sum up quite nicely the reasons why this might have been ignored but, as some seem to be spending much time and effort in twisting the bars, I think paying some attention to where the brakes are clamped might be fruitful.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I thought so, which is why I quoted festival's comment as that seemed to have been ignored by those who followed.

The points which you make do sum up quite nicely the reasons why this might have been ignored but, as some seem to be spending much time and effort in twisting the bars, I think paying some attention to where the brakes are clamped might be fruitful.

Agreed, I think it's an aspect that I often overlook as I've never had drop bars 'pre-wrapped' so to speak :biggrin: first time I got the levers as I wanted them and then took it to LBS to apply bar tape. I've taped them up myself since then, especially as I was messing about with stems and found I needed to tweak lever position at the same time.

I've even ridden with untaped bars but the levers set at different positions to try and see what worked better....not an experiment I'll be repeating

Drop bars and their levers have been with us for a very long time - their relative positions aren't random. There is an industry standard for brake lever positioning - the tip of the brake lever should line up with the very bottom of the bar (+/- 5mm). It's worth placing the bar on a flat work surface to establish this. All bars and all brakes are designed to comply with this standard so be very wary of moving levers around.

Unless of course they were fitted wrong in the first place...

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I have heard many rules on how handlebars should be set up, including the ramp and the top of the hood must be level, or the levers' face should be vertical, or the drops should point at a straight line to the rear wheel axle, or they should be level, etc. Imho there is no reason why one shouldn't be open minded and to try them, but like the knee over pedal spindle rule, rational explanation as to why they are right is scarce. The challenge is not helped by the fact that we all ride in different positions in relation to the handlebars, and we all have different physiques and flexibility.

What adds to the challenge, is like saddles and helmets, different drop handlebars can and do have dramatically different characteristics. For example, the drop can vary easily by 40mm between deep drop models and compact versions, they can have very different reach or ramp length (the bit behind the hood), the hook comes in various shapes influencing wrist angle and grip, and which drives the orientation of the bottom of the drops. Further levers don't all have the same geometry. Each of these features could be a pain or a god-send depending on whether they are suited to how one rides and what one needs. If adjustment can not deliver what one wants, I think one might have to work out what features are needed and identify what is available in the market from that.

From what the OP describes regarding his wrist angle, and I am only guessing here, it is possible that the hook needs to be rounder for him, i.e. from the existing (Kona Sweeper?):

120815.jpg

to perhaps something more like

salsa-pro-road-s-s-os.jpg

Are the cheapo Puch Free Spirit 10's handlebars like that? If they have been perfect, why not make some measurements and recreate the handlebar (and perhaps bike) fit on the Kona?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Whilst reading this thread it spurred me into fiddling with my bike stem to get a lower handle height as i usually run the stem flipped so it is fairly high.....

So i have this nice lower aero position and it looks sweet, the only problem after 2 days i have lower back pain i needed painkillers for :sad:

Moral of the story:-

Once you have found your sweet spot do not fiddle !!

GrasB

Veteran
Drop bars and their levers have been with us for a very long time - their relative positions aren't random. There is an industry standard for brake lever positioning - the tip of the brake lever should line up with the very bottom of the bar (+/- 5mm). It's worth placing the bar on a flat work surface to establish this. All bars and all brakes are designed to comply with this standard so be very wary of moving levers around.
Not quite, while most bars are set up like this there are very deep (195mm) & very shallow (110mm) bars are designed so this is basically an impossibility without some really weird hood positions. With that said all examples of new 'bars like that I've seen have had install instruction which explicitly tell you not to set them up like that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Whilst reading this thread it spurred me into fiddling with my bike stem to get a lower handle height as i usually run the stem flipped so it is fairly high.....

So i have this nice lower aero position and it looks sweet, the only problem after 2 days i have lower back pain i needed painkillers for :sad:

Moral of the story:-

Once you have found your sweet spot do not fiddle !!
Bit of a thread resurrection but i have to quote myself :smile:
Fitted a longer stem on both my road bikes and even though its only 1 cm longer my triceps are aching when i ride and the drops feel to far away , back to the old measurements i guess .
Dont fiddle if it feels right !

Top Bottom