Film editing app recommendations please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As per title, I've never really bothered editing anything too much but I had one of those days with a couple of surreal interactions with 3 drivers the other day and I just want to save the relevant sections of film without storing too much. The simpler, the better as I like to keep it simple and it's not something I plan on doing too much off.

TIA
What computer are you planning to use to do the video editing? What operating system does it run, e.g. Windows, Linux, Mac? It's difficult to recommend video editing software when we don't know what operating system it needs to run on.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
What computer are you planning to use to do the video editing? What operating system does it run, e.g. Windows, Linux, Mac? It's difficult to recommend video editing software when we don't know what operating system it needs to run on.
I do have a couple of laptops but I wasn't planning on using either for this if I could help it. I wanted to keep it simple by using an android tablet, and it seems the camera has it's own app, so between that and the tools on YouTube, I should be able to do whatever I need there.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I use Wondershare Filmora. There are four editing modes; instant cutter is, for me, by far the easiest to use for editing for (say) Greater Manchester Police, who want an edited clip, not the full segment as recorded by the camera. Instant cutter mode allows you to see the clip in a main window, with a slide bar immediately below it of segments from the clip. As you move the slide bar, the main window changes to the edit point.
Assuming a Windows user; pick up the file in Explorer and drop it into the Wondershare. Use the slide bar to edit to before and after the sequence.
File, Save As.
Job done.

Edit. For simple editing you can use the free version.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I use Wondershare Filmora. There are four editing modes; instant cutter is, for me, by far the easiest to use for editing for (say) Greater Manchester Police, who want an edited clip, not the full segment as recorded by the camera. Instant cutter mode allows you to see the clip in a main window, with a slide bar immediately below it of segments from the clip. As you move the slide bar, the main window changes to the edit point.
Assuming a Windows user; pick up the file in Explorer and drop it into the Wondershare. Use the slide bar to edit to before and after the sequence.
File, Save As.
Job done.

Edit. For simple editing you can use the free version.
That's interesting, most seem to be of the opinion that you need to send a full clip with at least a couple of minutes either side of the incident.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
That's interesting, most seem to be of the opinion that you need to send a full clip with at least a couple of minutes either side of the incident.

I sent one off tonight to GMP to a dropbox from yesterday's ride. They wanted a minimum of 30 seconds either side of the incident. I generally send 40 seconds to a minute either side. Very occasionally a longer section either side will be sent, when it puts into more context the incident.
Cheshire police on the other hand, which is the other main force I ride in, want the full segment unedited; even if the incident is right at the start, or the end of the segment.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I sent one off tonight to GMP to a dropbox from yesterday's ride. They wanted a minimum of 30 seconds either side of the incident. I generally send 40 seconds to a minute either side. Very occasionally a longer section either side will be sent, when it puts into more context the incident.
Cheshire police on the other hand, which is the other main force I ride in, want the full segment unedited; even if the incident is right at the start, or the end of the segment.
Police Scotland aren't quite so as forward thinking as there is no facility to report incidents in this way.

Top Bottom