Final decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
There's not much in it beyond weight and frame material. The 9.0 is carbon and a fair bit lighter. Personally I prefer the look of it too.

Are you able to ride both and see which you prefer?

vickster

Legendary Member
Nearly 2k is a lot to spend on a first bike for a newbie for occasional use (as your other thread), but it’s your money!
Are they actually both available in your size?
Personally, I’d just go with the alu one and put the rest in savings to use for N+1 once you’re riding much more :okay:

Don't forget the extras. Notably whether your home insurance policy covers bikes of either value home and away

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Thank you to all those who have helped me and commented on my previous posts.

Narrowed it down to the Boardman ADV 8.9 and Boardman ADV 9.0. Unfortunately I don't know enough about bikes to know if the 9.0 is a significant upgrade and worth the extra cost? Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

https://99spokes.com/en-GB/compare?bikes=boardman-adv-8.9-2021,boardman-adv-9.0-2021

Are you happy to spend £1100 to save 1.3kg?

With 38mm tyres the comfort difference between an aluminium and carbon frame is so tiny, its undetectable by a novice rider.

Personally I'd buy the cheaper model, when you've got a year or so riding, upgrade the wheels and tyres, add some nice bits.

Dont be fooled by anyone saying the carbon bike will make you much quicker- yes it will-but only a few seconds over an hours riding.

Also riding on big tyres is so much nicer than high pressure narrow tyres, you float over bumps and poor surfaces. This benefit allows for more pleasure, longer rides with less fatigue

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you happy to spend £1100 to save 1.3kg?

With 38mm tyres the comfort difference between an aluminium and carbon frame is so tiny, its undetectable by a novice rider.

Personally I'd buy the cheaper model, when you've got a year or so riding, upgrade the wheels and tyres, add some nice bits.

Dont be fooled by anyone saying the carbon bike will make you much quicker- yes it will-but only a few seconds over an hours riding.

And that’s dependent on the terrain and traffic. I doubt it’ll make any difference on the paths (presumably shared) the OP has said he’ll be riding.
The difference is £700 IF Halfords have stock

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Nobody EVER kicked themselves for getting a better bike. If you can afford the better bike then go for it and smile whenever you ride it :okay:

The money they can save, they could go on a foreign holiday with said cheaper bike. I'd agree with your statement, if it was a truly budget compared to better bike, but the aluminium bike boardman is very well specc'd. That's why Boardman bikes are a good choice for most beginners- base models are so well kitted out

CXRAndy

Guru
And that’s dependent on the terrain and traffic. I doubt it’ll make any difference on the paths (presumably shared) the OP has said he’ll be riding.

That's exactly it, my scenario was an uninterrupted hour ride, so town riding, zilch time savings, buy the cheaper model

vickster

Legendary Member
Dont confuse the OP with extra suggestions- they've narrowed choice, besides your suggestion is flat handlebar, and more expensive than Boardman from tredz

Oops…in his last thread he was only looking at flat bars… deleted… it’s too early…I’m off out on the bike… :wacko:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think anyone is being miserable, just pointing out that carbon for most riders is not much of an upgrade for a lot of cash.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've not taken an in-depth look at either (Edit: below - down the rabbit hole we go :rolleyes:), however it appears that the drivetrain is significantly higher end on the 9.0 (11 speed, GRX 600/800 versus 10 speed GRX600 and Tiagra) so there's additional value there. It might be worth looking up the different component costs and seeing how much of the price difference between the bikes this makes up.

Full specs for each can be found here for anyone wishing to take a deeper look: 8.9, 9.0.

I don't like the fact that the 9.0 uses a press-fit BB and an adaptor, that used on the 8.9 appears to be threaded (better IMO) but is mentioned specifically in relation to FSA's own cranksets so I'm not sure what the upgrade path would be like if you wanted to fit a better crankset in future.

As has become commonplace Boardman have saved money on the 8.9's crankset by fitting an FSA item rather than the in-group Shimano alternative; which is a shame and makes the GRX item on the 9.0 all the more appealing. Not done the numbers but it appears that the cheaper bike has a wider range of gearing (at least more at the bottom end) thanks to the much wider range cassette at the back. The pricer bike has two teeth less on the crankset though; so on the one hand a shade less efficient on paper; on the other it would give you a much lower-geared setup if you paired it with a larger cassette on the rear; if that's something that matters to you.

Both run thru-axles and hydro brakes, which is grand, as is the fact that both wheelsets are tubless ready. The seatpost on the 9.0 is smaller diameter, which (along with the frame material) might make the ride a bit bit comfortable.

Personally I'm not a fan of either frame material and a lot of the frame's behaviour will be down to the design characteristics of each example, but of course all things being equal a lighter bike is nicer (you'll not notice it much until you have to chuck it around over uneven ground).

FWIW I think the 9.0 is a nicer looking bike.

It looks like the same old story really; the high end bike is certainly better but not to the extent where it scales linearly with the price. I had the same dilemma when I bought my Genesis; although that was a bit easier as (while still disproportionate) the price difference ended up not being as much (got a great price on the higher end bike) and there was a hydro/mechanical disc situation which made the choice easier.

Good luck making the decision - the one think I can say for certain is that I'm glad I don't have to make the choice :tongue:

Top Bottom