Final hurdle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nightoff

Ride2work nearly sorted:smile:, just the bike to choose from Evans. I have £800 for the bike and narrowed it down to 2 choices. It's either the Spesh Allez Elite or Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Tiagra. I have tried both and like both. My head says the Spesh is more practical but my heart likes the look of the Bianchi. I will be using mostly for commuting so would compliment either with Crud road racer mudguards and a carradice SQR slim saddle bag.
Any idea which has the best stock wheelset and finishing kit and gives the best platform for upgrading?:thumbsup:

Bike 1
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-elite-2010-road-bike-ec019407

Bike 2
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/via-nirone-7-tiagra-2010-road-bike-ec021256

beancounter

A colleague has just bought the Bianchi (with 105) on our works scheme. In Celeste it's a really pretty bike. He's delighted with it.

Don't buy the Specialized, they're so boring (zzzzzzzzzzzz) like a Ford Focus, competent but so dull.

bc

OP
OP
N

nightoff

On looks alone, I would go for the Bianchi every time. The issues that muddy the water for me are the Bianchi has a carbon seatpost. I would swap this for an alloy one to take my 13st 10lbs plus seat post bag. Pedals are not included with the Bianchi. This makes it approx £60-£80 more than the Spesh.

Which ever bike I buy would remain stock for 12 months (except seatpost if Bianchi), so the quality of components is important. I don't know much about wheels and tyres so would appreciate any thoughts to help make my decision easier.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
nightoff said:
I don't know much about wheels and tyres so would appreciate any thoughts to help make my decision easier.

This is one of the areas where cut-price components are used to keep the price down so neither is especially attractive. 13.5 stones isn't very heavy but i'd lean towards the 32h Specialized wheels rather than the 28h on the bianchi as being more hard wearing.

Willo

I have an Allez through the cycle to work scheme and actually really like it. However, if the truth be known, I wanted a Via Nirone 7 purely on the basis it's such a lovely looking cycle IMO, but the sheme my company use cannot source Bianchi bikes. Happily, I've become quite attached to my Allez and it inspires me to get up early in the morning to go for a ride. However, I think there's much to be said for being led by the heart in terms of which bike would really inspire you to go go for a ride in the morning.

A nice dilemma to have and am sure you'll enjoy whichever you go for.

battered

Guru
Rationally, I'd buy the Spesh for the reasons stated. Emotionally, you really want a Bianchi, so buy it. One of these is going to make you grin when you throw a leg over it. Both are going to work.

13 stones odd is hardly big. Any seat post will be man enough.

I'll put money on both sets of wheels going through the first year without incident unless you abuse them. When you've gone through a couple of sets of pads and the rims are starting to look a bit worn and tarnished, you can decide what to replace them with.

l4dva

Guru
I really really wanted a bianchi nirome, as soon as I saw it with the campy groupset and celeste colours looks fantastic. I think the wheels may have let it down a little but im sure eventually you will want to upgrade the wheels on the spesh as well. I was very ready to part with my cash... only prob evans and everywhere else had no stock of the campy equiped bianchi and I was also waiting on a insurance replacement for my stolen bike at the same time... insurance company offered me a boardmans carbon bike instead, the temptation of a carbon frame won it in the end!

battered

Guru
Alun said:
Battered, where's your avatar ?

Aar. Added it. Truly I am an IT god.;)

OP
OP
N

nightoff

Thanks all for the responses.

I am leaning more towards the Bianchi the more I think about it.
I'm a little disappointed with the speed to set up the scheme. Still waiting for Evans to send the welcome pack after sending all the forms off.
Looks like I will have to wait another week for the new bike.
Would anyone know if the carbon post on the Bianchi would take a Carradice SQR slim. Just a little nervous about the snapped carbon meets groin scenario.
Anyway, I'll be back on with developments if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
N

nightoff

2 days ago I collected my shiny new Bianchi.
So far I am completely blown away by how good it is. I have only done about 40 miles so far but all on familiar routes. Early impressions are the new bike is 15-20% faster than my hybrid with similar effort. Not got any negatives yet but I'm in the honeymoon period.
Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Top Bottom