Final Stage etiquette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't know but for sure it will be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The etiquette that maean no-one attacks the yellow jersey on the last day is a myth. It is normally the case that this is so because the time gaps are as such that they cannot be closed on a flat stage with a criterium finish. But these guys would scoop their grannies eyeballs out in return for a TDF win, so expect fireworks tomorrow.

Smokin Joe said:
The etiquette that maean no-one attacks the yellow jersey on the last day is a myth. It is normally the case that this is so because the time gaps are as such that they cannot be closed on a flat stage with a criterium finish. But these guys would scoop their grannies eyeballs out in return for a TDF win, so expect fireworks tomorrow.

You're quite correct, it's normally a pragmatic neutrality, bascially because there isn't a snowball's chance of closing the gap.

As far as the Yellow Jersey is concerned, perhaps we'll have the most competitive/interesting final stage since Lemond's 8 seconds in July.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
:thumbsup:

I suppose that the GC contenders might make some motions towards the sprints until Boonen and Hunter start turning their gears. Boonen won't want to risk losing the green so he will fight the sprints. I reckon he might beat levi and cadel too :thumbsup:

asterix

Comrade Member
The 'etiquette' thing doesn't make sense to me. After all, it's a race, the finish is in Paris and they haven't reached Paris!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Perhaps he thinks Evans is thick enough to believe him...

I would love to believe it's a tactical ploy. I think after all that has happened, the fans deserve a 'real' final stage. I hope they get stuck in. The GC contenders could have the 'space' to manoeuvre as the points race is only changeable if Boonen fails to score and Robbie Hunter wins. So apart from the prestige they should let the top dogs at least try to mess with each other.

Only time will tell, but I'm not optimistic. I think it will be another procession with the same TV camera angles and direction as the past umpteen years.

Top Bottom