Finally Did It

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
So i've been training for the last 12 months to lose weight and take part in the Asthma UK beach to beach bike ride - 2 x 70mile rides saturday and sunday

So i rocked upto the beach at bournemouth, slipped on the lycra, turned on the GPS waited for the gun and set off at 9am from bournemouth afc for the first leg, 70 miles through bournemouth, up through the new forest and onto east meon. (Now my longest ride upto this point was 47miles in 3hrs 15 mins).

5hrs and 2mins later i had completed the first leg of the ride, 70 miles and 2500ft of climbing, cramp in left hamstring and as tired as you couldnt believe. That night it was off to the local to watch the Chelski beat the Munichs before hitting the tent for what was for me about 3hrs kip.....

Then it was up and at em for the second leg sunday morning, start time was meant to be 9am, so to my horror at 8-20 over the tannoy came we are about to start the ride in 10mins. Not for me fella's i was still half dressed. So told the organisers, i would start at the back when i was ready. As the 235 cyclists set off from the camp site into the distance i start my second leg at 8-40......

Legs felt good and strong, climbing up through east meon, picking off the back markers as i go en-route to South downs way, onto devils dyke and into brighton, 65 hilly miles in 5hrs 12mins and another 2500ft of climbing.

What a weekend, what a ride and what a feeling when i finished on brighton beach with my fellow cyclists, ending the ride in the top 30 after starting from the back.

One proud of myself welshman.

ps i did walk devils dyke, this fat man aint that good at climbing yet, but i'll get there ready for next year

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
From 47 miles to 2 70-odd miles is one hell of a jump! I imagine you're going to spend the next couple of days half elated but twice exhausted. Congratulations!

Top Bottom