Finally Switched Cassette's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
That all made very interesting reading for me. I'm always messin with m'ratios. Bear in mind, I am an old'ish leisure cyclist with disabilities. I currently run a 11-34 9speed cassette with a triple 34-45-55. I cant stand up out of the saddle to get up the hills so I need the really low stuff to make it up steep hills, and I luv whipping down the other side faster than it will just roll, hence the really high gearing. My cadence is necessarily slower than alot of other peoples. I recently tried a 46 t middle ring instead of my normal 45. Up to about 15 miles it felt as though my average was a lttle improved, however over the second 15 it really dropped off and over the total ride, I found it took an extra 20mins with the extra tooth. I've tried cassettes from 12-28 up to the current 11-34 and chain rings from 28,38 and 48 up to the present combination. I realize my stuation is a little different to most, but I think my whole point is that different set ups will always suit different people and different situations. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be able to climb 1000 feet. I pat myself on the back if I do my worst local climb of a very steep 140 feet without actually going into my lowest gear. If it works for you, and improves your cycling experience, in any way shape or form, then JUST DO IT. But, y'godda try it before y'know, dont'ya. Keep experimenting y'all

Those kind of hills? That's a really strange hobby!

Where in Spain are you going to be?

I'll be staying in Moraira. The whole Surrounding area is hilly. I've spent a couple of years cycling around the local areas, I used to stay in Cumbre del Sol, benitatxell. I now generally head up to Benissa and then over to Xalo/Jalon up and over the Coll de Rates. it's in some of the urbanizacions that the steeper hills are. I'll veer off the main routes when I see some of them and head up for some view points.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
After going through all this i have now bought a new bike

giant defy 4 triple....arrives friday

zexel

Veteran
:laugh:

Why did the phrase, "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.", come to mind :tongue:

Peteaud

Veteran
HeHe !
My club run leader loves to take us up into the hills around Dovedale/Ashbourne , i am glad i have a compact , i have never used the 28 yet but its there if i need it .

I often go down it but even then its a bit dicey, especialy after rain as there is a ford at the bottom after heavy rain.

Next time i am out there i am going to take a pic of it.

Top Bottom