Finally worked out where I'm going wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you to the driver of the green jeep for pointing out that when leaving the roundabout I should swerve in front of the parked bus (there's a bus stop this roundabout) and under the parked cars on the exit to let you by as you must of had a very important meeting and me going 19-20mph held you up. How stupid of me not doing this it must of really wound you up the way you were blowing the horn. Oh no, you can't of been in a rush when the road straightened, widened, visibility was good, traffic was extremely light and you only needed to cross the cl by about 2ft you still didn't overtake and continued to peep. Guess what my first manouvre whilst keeping me safe maybe delayed you by about 0.5s your later reminstration delayed you by about another 5s or more and really got your blood pressure up.

Thank you to the taxi driver who decided that I shouldn't have been in the centre of the lane, so felt the need to make a point.

Our little chat afterwards was interesting and your continued insistance that cyclists should not be in the middle of the lane has made me reconsider my road position. From now on I will cycle right next to the parked cars for your convenience. Really I will. No really...:thumbsup:

If I have a chance I will post the video later.

Aah, hostilities resumed I see. No commute for me today, because I was staying at my gf's place on campus last night.

We went out for a midnight ride round town, saw only a couple of cars. It was lovely.

It is astounding the way that car drivers so often think that they own the road, and have the right to tell everyone else there what to do. Its a problem that can only be tackled by educating the future drivers, current ones are not going to change their ways.

We need the law to protect cyclists more than its current farcicle treatment, it needs to recognnise our vulnerability, and how much abuse cyclists as a minority have to suffer. Abuse of minorities is taken extremely serious when it is religion or race based, but seems to be fine if the minority is a cyclist.

yenrod

Thank you last night to the driver who passed me at speed even though you were ‘down my neck’ whilst I was taking an slippy corner at speed prior to this then upon you getting yourself snarled up at a junction then took great issue with me overtaking with plenty of space: then drove off passing me AGAIN at high speed in 2nd gear 1

Tynan

Veteran
with the usual exceptions I find drivers decent enough

I did have a right shocker this morning that made me lose it big time, can't be bother to type all the details out but it was appalling

ChrisKH

Guru
I find myself more and more bullying the drivers, rather than the other way around. I had a car try and overtake me (me in secondary position) and there was no room due to a backlog of cars coming in the opposite direction. She/he tried to force the front of their car past my back wheel which caught my eye, so I put out my hand, pointed to the road behind me (as in stay there), took primary and did so for 1/4 mile. Not a peep and no complaint.

Wish they were all like that.

jmaccyd

ChrisKH said:
I find myself more and more bullying the drivers, rather than the other way around. I had a car try and overtake me (me in secondary position) and there was no room due to a backlog of cars coming in the opposite direction. She/he tried to force the front of their car past my back wheel which caught my eye, so I put out my hand, pointed to the road behind me (as in stay there), took primary and did so for 1/4 mile. Not a peep and no complaint.

Wish they were all like that.

I suspect point taken! I have posted on a motoring forum before that I think many drivers put more thought and planning into a reverse park at Tesco's than into overtaking - without doubt the most dangerous manouevre that you will undertake in a car

gavintc

Guru
I have a narrow road on my nightly commute between Kirkliston and Barnton. I have to sit in primary as there is just not enough room for 2 cars and me. It really winds up the drivers even though I am doing a respectable 20+ mph. The odd toot, the odd revved engine, the odd ridiculous overtake.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The other day I had a Mini (BMW) driver trying to intimidate me my revving his engine hard (and slipping the clutch) while following behind me as I cycled in primary to avoid parked vans on South Bridge, then he shouted at my that I should move out of his way. He was able to pass me when the road widened but was very annoyed when I passed him as he sat in a queue for every traffic light thought Newington. When I finally turned off he still hadn’t gotten any distance ahead of me. So I didn’t have any effect on his overall journey time, it would have taken just as long if I hadn’t been there, but if he could have figured that out for him self, his blood pressure would have been lower…

Plax

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
The other day I had a Mini (BMW) driver trying to intimidate me my revving his engine hard (and slipping the clutch) while following behind me as I cycled in primary to avoid parked vans on South Bridge, then he shouted at my that I should move out of his way. He was able to pass me when the road widened but was very annoyed when I passed him as he sat in a queue for every traffic light thought Newington. When I finally turned off he still hadn’t gotten any distance ahead of me. So I didn’t have any effect on his overall journey time, it would have taken just as long if I hadn’t been there, but if he could have figured that out for him self, his blood pressure would have been lower…

Did you bang on his roof and wave on the way past just to wind him up some more? :smile:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Plax said:
Did you bang on his roof and wave on the way past just to wind him up some more? :smile:

I find blowing them a kiss and waving as I pass has the same desired effect :tongue:

Top Bottom