Find me a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I haven't had a new bike for aaaages and I'll be eligible for cycle2work soon so I'm entering the research stage.
I want a bike predominantly for my 6mile commute on a cycle path, and that will take me out for the odd 20 miler when the notion takes me, but also won't be out of place for the odd trip to the shop.
Mudguards and a rear rack are a must - I hate the sweaty back feel of a rucksack.
I prefer a flat bar and I don't want suspension anywhere. I'm not convinced by female specific geometry, so long as the bike fits me it'll become a "lady's" bike.
In the region of £700.
Hit me with your best shot.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte R7 flat bar, job done :okay:

Merida flat bars also look good for the ££

Will it have to come from a C2W supplier at RRP or can you sniff out a reduced bargain?

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I can use c2w with halfords (don't laugh!!) evans or a number of independents locally.
I'll get a discount if I go to my old employer, possibly, but has to be c2w as I don't have the cash handy myself.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can use c2w with halfords (don't laugh!!) evans or a number of independents locally.
I'll get a discount if I go to my old employer, possibly, but has to be c2w as I don't have the cash handy myself.
What brands can you access locally? Do the Indies offer C2W on reduced bikes?

Reactions: mjr

Serge

Über Member
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Bluemels-Mudguard-Set_69738.htm

And the mudguards! It's easy spending other people's money isn't it? I might become a personal shopper.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe I'm reading a different message but nothing in the OP is saying "sports" to me! However, the only bikes at treads which are steel, racked and hub geared are the expensive Pashleys which are over budget and I'm not sure about the aluminium alternatives like the bobbin brownie (needs extra rack) and Raleigh Fern plus it looks like there's only step throughs in budget. Maybe they're there and I'm just not seeing them but it'd help to know what brands the independents stock. Gazelle, perhaps?

Serge

Über Member
Maybe I'm reading a different message but nothing in the OP is saying "sports" to me! However, the only bikes at treads which are steel, racked and hub geared are the expensive Pashleys which are over budget and I'm not sure about the aluminium alternatives like the bobbin brownie (needs extra rack) and Raleigh Fern plus it looks like there's only step throughs in budget. Maybe they're there and I'm just not seeing them but it'd help to know what brands the independents stock. Gazelle, perhaps?
Bugger, it looks like I'm not cut out to be a personal shopper then.

To be fair, if there's a stick, I'll always get the wrong end (normally the end covered in faecal matter if I'm allowed to mix metaphors).

Tin Pot

Guru
The Della Strada

https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/shop/uncategorized/cinelli-gazzetta-della-strada/

CINELLI-Gazzetta-Della-Strada-2017-blu_4203.png

Top Bottom