Finding a cyclist-friendly GP.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Since my fellow forumeers have been so efficient in explaining self-warming heat pads, I wonder if any can now point me in the direction of a GP who understands cyclists and runners?

Went to my GP this morning for a course of Amoxy for my annual autumn chest infection. I won't bore you with the details but suffice to say I emerged fuming and determined to find a GP who understands about people who insist of keeping fit all through the year and who sometimes suffer chest infections in winter. If I wanted to sit answering stupid questions while the bloke fills in an online form without even looking at me, I would just buy the software.

Grrrrrrr!

Anywhere in North Manchester, Bury or Blackburn or in between would do!

col

Legendary Member
I cant help,but thought i would tell you that im very lucky, in that my gp is a sportsman himself,and has been very good over the years.I hope you get sorted soon.

domtyler

Über Member
GPs are generally of a poor standard nowadays. In order to get anything out of them it is best to research your ailment yourself and then go to them with what you know and ask them to write out the prescription/write the referral letter etc.

pzycoman

domtyler said:
GPs are generally of a poor standard nowadays. In order to get anything out of them it is best to research your ailment yourself and then go to them with what you know and ask them to write out the prescription/write the referral letter etc.

Dosent always work. I had 2 private doctors say "This is whats wrong", and he wouldn't accept it. "Iv been a surgeon for 10 years, iv never heard of that" isnt a defense. I even showed him the condition in HIS medical books, he refused to give me a referral. I made an appointment with him every day for 2 weeks, then he gave me a referral. 5 months later, I was under the knife, problem fixed.

wafflycat

cyclist-friendly GP... hmmm... have you tried locating hens' teeth? That will be easier!

More seriously - too many GPs don't seem to *understand* exercising/keeping fit at all, other than it's something one is supposed to tell one's patients to do. But the actual reality of it, they seem to have not much of a clue about.

But - there's a shedload of docs at the Norfolk & Norwich hospital who are cyclists!

If you ever require a decent physio who *does* understand cyclists and keeping fit - there's Jo Tym in Norfolk, who is a cyclist herself. See http://www.reepham.org.uk/directory.htm#Health When my offspring had a major crash earlier in the year where he broke a shoulder blade, had major road rash & *nasty* soft tissue damage to his hips - it was Jo Tym's advice on keeping mobile that got the offspring's recovery well underway and helped him keep mobility in joints. So much so that when he went back to horsespittal for follow-ups, the doc (non-cyclist) who checked him over where highly plesantly surprised at the amount of mobility he had. It was unexpected - as they'd said "don't exercise" but he was already doing physio - and his recovery was excellent. If he'd followed the "don't exercise" advice, his joints would have seized up and his recovery been more protracted and difficult.

ChrisKH

Guru
My physio in Benfleet is really good; he has had to deal with his father cycling all his adult life and his Dad now has two replacement knee joints and still cycles. Of course that's a bit far from Lancashire.;)

My surgeon (female - unrelated to cycling injuries) is a triathlete which makes things easier when we have a consultation and I drag my Brompton through the hospital. She showed me her fresh knee surgery scar last time I was there.:sad:

postman

Legendary Member
My GP is a cyclist.We use the same cafe.He has been brilliant at supporting me with knee problems.Sorted after Arthroscopy.Also a lypoma and a hernia.His team is also first class or am i just lucky.

monnet

Guru
My Gp's a cyclist too - he did the Etape this year too.

Pete

I'm surprised at some of these comments - or perhaps very lucky! I need to visit my GP every six months for BP checkup and sometimes cholesterol. He invariably asks me "how's the cycling going? Still keeping it up?" And he maintains it's the best thing I can do for myself, to postpone the eventual heart attack. I derive some comfort from believing him :biggrin:. Even if we're both wrong. :biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
Pete said:
I'm surprised at some of these comments - or perhaps very lucky! I need to visit my GP every six months for BP checkup and sometimes cholesterol. He invariably asks me "how's the cycling going? Still keeping it up?" And he maintains it's the best thing I can do for myself, to postpone the eventual heart attack. I derive some comfort from believing him :biggrin:. Even if we're both wrong. :biggrin:

Eventual heart attack? doesnt sound good?:sad:

Pete

col said:
Eventual heart attack? doesnt sound good?:biggrin:
Turn of phrase, that's all :biggrin:. I have bad 'family history', but I'm looking after myself as best I can. But it could happen, and cyclists do get them (I used to know a guy in his 50s who suffered quite a bad one while out training - on a fixie. He recovered :sad:)

Top Bottom