Fine for overtaking cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Drivers could face a £100 fine & 3 points on their license, if they overtake bicycles on specially designated 15mph roads in city centres.
It is being considered in London, as well as Britains so-called "cycle cities".
The Alliance of British Drivers said it is the government waging war on motorists.

So who's for 15mph limits within city centres?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Laws have to be viewed as reasonable by most to be workable and enforceable. This won't be.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
First it was 20mph, now 15mph, what next? 10mph? Why not do away with cars all together and go back to the horse and cart or have some one walk in front of it with a red flag? This is going absolutely stupid!

vickster

Legendary Member
Do most accidents involving cars and cyclists happen in a city centre when a car is overtaking a bike...my did involve a misjudged overtake but it wasn't in Central London.

Sara_H

Guru
I think it's a great idea, and all part of "going dutch".

In my city the LA have designated lots of residential back streets that run paralell with arterial routes as safer cycling routes. These routes are often efeectively only one lane wide due to parked cars and I've often felt that my safety has been put at risk because drivers have tried to squeeze past.

Ooh interesting, is there any official notice on another site of this? I tried google and top result is this thread:laugh:

"London, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle upon Tyne and Oxford"

Be nice if that list was expanded, but its a nice start, 15mph is a nice speed though I think - I know people here say they go faster but I'd say the majority of uk cyclists are in the 12-15mph average?

Crankarm

Guru
Is this a joke?

1st April has passed.

A lot of city centres are pedestrianised anyway so no cars except maybe taxis, buses and trucks delivering.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Is this a joke?

1st April has passed.

A lot of city centres are pedestrianised anyway so no cars except maybe taxis, buses and trucks delivering.
No joke. And if you've taken the time to read the piece, you will see that it will apply to certain streets only, not all streets within a city centre.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
A 20mph limit is being proposed in my town on all but a few main roads, at a cost of £400,000. As residents we were asked to share our views. I see this as a waste of money. On most of these roads, it's nigh on impossible to go above 20mph anyway. No-one would adhere to it or enforce it. I suggested spending the money on road road improvements for cyclists. Strangely enough, I haven't had any response....

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
A 20mph limit is being proposed in my town on all but a few main roads, at a cost of £400,000. As residents we were asked to share our views. I see this as a waste of money. On most of these roads, it's nigh on impossible to go above 20mph anyway. No-one would adhere to it or enforce it. I suggested spending the money on road road improvements for cyclists. Strangely enough, I haven't had any response....
Similar response to the 20mph limit here.
The piece is for certain roads only though.

Top Bottom