Finished my Carlton Corsair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
I have finished my latest project the ebay Carlton Corsair frame which I have built out of bits from the attic bits from a friendly bike mechanic and lots of rummaging though boxes , I have built it up as a Sturmey Archer 3 speed I like the simplicity of the gearing and the wheel I had in the attic is a1981 same age as the bike , there are before photos in an earlier post on here these are the after ones , hope you like it . DSC01277.JPG DSC01275.JPG DSC01280.JPG DSC01283.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@ren531 that looks nice and i am thinking of doing a similar build based on one of my stored frames

midlife

Guru
Nice :smile: . The coffee colour was always a good seller, looks good with the chrome :smile:. The "Longfellow" frames were built separately and had about a £100 premium BITD :smile:

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
The bits didn't look quite so good when started I have spent weeks scrubbing and polishing ,I put a new head badge and Reynolds 531 transfer but left the other as they were ok ,it is surprising how the old chrome stuff cleans up, its a nice ride fits me perfectly very comfy and reasonably light .

midlife

Guru
The bits didn't look quite so good when started I have spent weeks scrubbing and polishing ,I put a new head badge and Reynolds 531 transfer but left the other as they were ok ,it is surprising how the old chrome stuff cleans up, its a nice ride fits me perfectly very comfy and reasonably light .

A Demi Course as Carlton says......a light tourer. Same frame as a Pro Am :smile:

GuyBoden

Guru
dsc01280-jpg.jpg

Very nice.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Yes midlife I think it is very light for its age ,I didn't know its the same frame as the ProAm thanks for the info .

midlife

Guru
Yes midlife I think it is very light for its age ,I didn't know its the same frame as the ProAm thanks for the info .

Raleigh / Carlton used the same frame for several different bikes, rather like car makers today will use the same floor plan for different models.

Their biggest one was the wrapround seat stay / tru-well frame with Crespera lugs. Pitched up on the Cobra, Corsa etc.

Corsair is a great bike, Carlton knew how to build a frame with the right geometry to make a snappy ride. :smile:

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Did a nice 45 mile ride on the Carlton today from Grange over Sands to Lancaster ,it did it perfectly , no mechanical problems being just 3 speed was not an issue either ,did it in style .

Top Bottom