FIRE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I knew a Rep who used hotels a lot obviously and when he arrived he checked the fire escape routes to make sure he knew where they were and that they were clear. In one hotel the signs all led to his room. He appeared to have been allocated a room which was the official fire escape route.:wacko:
Yes very sensible to check. I would do that when travelling on business.
That map looks like a dogs dinner.

irw

Quadricyclist
Joking aside, I'd actually be tempted to bring this to the attention of the local fire/licensing authorities- it's got real potential to cause at best confusion or injury, at worst, death in an emergency situation.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I knew a Rep who used hotels a lot obviously and when he arrived he checked the fire escape routes to make sure he knew where they were and that they were clear. In one hotel the signs all led to his room. He appeared to have been allocated a room which was the official fire escape route.:wacko:
I'm away a couple of nights most weeks and tend to stick to the main chains nowadays. Too many big hotels living off a faded reputations with stuff piled in corridors and exits blocked. Avoid pub hotels almost entirely for the same reason.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm away a couple of nights most weeks and tend to stick to the main chains nowadays. Too many big hotels living off a faded reputations with stuff piled in corridors and exits blocked. Avoid pub hotels almost entirely for the same reason.
A hotel in Llandrindod Wells we were staying in had the novel idea of parking a large wardrobe sometime during the night completely blocking the exit from a room which was occupied[ not by us]. The occupant was a rep who had previously made a complaint about something so it was probably not accidental. It was a ground floor room so he probably could have got out in emergency by breaking a window. He got out when we heard him banging and shouting and I moved the wardrobe. We had to go out on business so did no hear the outcome but I doubt they got paid.:ohmy:
I have other stories about hotels in Wales but not relevant to this discussion.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I actually came here to say that the floor plan looks almost exactly like the layout of Fawlty Towers!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was very impressed by the detailed Fire Action plan at a B&B I used when riding the Bay Way!

:whistle:

Slick

Guru
On our hotel room door. How do I avoid passing go?
View attachment 634960
To be fair any plan should just be GTF by the quickest route possible. It is still a huge issue up here after the 2 big fires in the school of art, but worst of the lot was in Cameron House where the 2 boys perished. Despite the doubters, I always make sure I know my way out by the quickest route possible and its not always the advertised route on the map behind the door. :okay:

I used to teach at a school where I also trained to be a teacher a few years before
In the intervening period that had a real problem - details later

Anyway - as per usual they had scheduled fire alarm drills - normally the teacher knew about them but not always
(if the kids had been watching they would have noticed that the teachers often had umbrellas and coats at the ready on a day when they knew a test was due - but they didn;t)

Anyways - one day one year group was moaning because it was VERY hot (for the UK) and the girls were all wearing short skirts but the boys were not allowed to and had to wear long trousers - shorts were not an option
It all got rather heated - I know what they meant because I was in the same block a few years later - and they 'held a protest'
which involved then setting off CS Gas :eek: in a clasroom and corridor and leaving the school to block the road

Police, ambulance were all called - and eventually the Fire Brigade as they could ventilate the rooms

all other pupils were evacuated as usual
Except that the corridor in question was no useable due to the CS Gas and they had to go the long way round and exit via a different route

which caused chaos because no-one - teacher and kids - knew where to go

luckily the school had some intelligent people in it (yup - teacher can be clever - mostly) so the whole procedure was reviewed

future drills included random blockages at times and teacher were given new maps with main escape route plus a reserve

On a different point - 'some children' decided at one point that it was 'fun' to set fire alarms off

we had rather a lot

ended up with 5 in one day :eek::eek:

at the time I had a Year 11 (aged 16) form group who were rather annoyed as their revision lessons for looming GCSEs were interrupted
and there were some rather big and difficult kids in that group
They were 'rather annoyed' at the time at told me they were going to 'have a word'
which was worrying - and I explained - in words of one syllable - that they were NOT to etc etc etc

at the same time the Head got a company to install CCTV covering all fire alarms

the problem stopped

not really sure which technique was effective - but it is damn difficult giving a warning to a 6 foot plus angry 16 year old when you have to look up to see his eyes
Anyway - problem solved and no one was injured - probably

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Anyways - one day one year group was moaning because it was VERY hot (for the UK) and the girls were all wearing short skirts but the boys were not allowed to and had to wear long trousers - shorts were not an option

the girls were all wearing short skirts but the boys were not allowed to...

If only you'd let the boys wear short skirts...

Top Bottom