first 100mile ride on a hardtail (advice welcome)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i will be attempting my first 100mile bike ride this week on a hardtail.
i will be riding the cheshire ring setting off at around 6am as im expecting the trip to be around 12 hours in total the route will be 90% canal footpaths i have made a route and planned in, the longest ride ive done is 50miles which was up and down lots of steep hills i didnt feel to bad after this.
hoping to get some advice cheers

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's not often we see talk of a 100 mile ride in the beginners section, especially on a MTB!
If you're doing it over a 12 hour period it shouldn't be too difficult assuming you have a reasonable fitness level, which you probably have if you have done 50 mile hilly routes as you say.
Keep yourself hydrated and fed, and you should be fine. Carry as little as possible with you to keep the weight down, and make sure you are as comfortable as you can be - i.e. good pair of padded shorts, familiar saddle etc.. Take some essential tools to keep you going in case of mechanical issues or punctures. A spare tube, tyre levers, patches, pump, chain link, and multi-tool. Make sure the bike is well fettled before the ride - tyres at correct pressure, chain lubed, gears adjusted, brakes working well, all nuts and bolts tight.
Most of all, just go and enjoy the ride :smile:.

OP
OP
C
It's not often we see talk of a 100 mile ride in the beginners section, especially on a MTB!
If you're doing it over a 12 hour period it shouldn't be too difficult assuming you have a reasonable fitness level, which you probably have if you have done 50 mile hilly routes as you say.
Keep yourself hydrated and fed, and you should be fine. Carry as little as possible with you to keep the weight down, and make sure you are as comfortable as you can be - i.e. good pair of padded shorts, familiar saddle etc.. Take some essential tools to keep you going in case of mechanical issues or punctures. A spare tube, tyre levers, patches, pump, chain link, and multi-tool. Make sure the bike is well fettled before the ride - tyres at correct pressure, chain lubed, gears adjusted, brakes working well, all nuts and bolts tight.
Most of all, just go and enjoy the ride :smile:.
cheersmate(y)

johnblack

Über Member
I've done a fair few off road hundreds, all on a hard tail, the last one was in July doing the South Downs Way.

I find the hardest part later in the ride is concentration, which you'll need plenty of riding towpaths. I think if you feel ok doing a 50, (I'm assuming a flatish) 100 shouldn't be too much trouble. Just keep feeding, not too much, little and often, and enjoy it. At this time of year put some lights on.

I absolutely hate riding towpaths, so all power to you for your choice of route.

PK99

Legendary Member
i will be attempting my first 100mile bike ride this week on a hardtail.
i will be riding the cheshire ring setting off at around 6am as im expecting the trip to be around 12 hours in total the route will be 90% canal footpaths i have made a route and planned in, the longest ride ive done is 50miles which was up and down lots of steep hills i didnt feel to bad after this.
hoping to get some advice cheers

20 miles
Eat
20miles
eat
20 miles
eat
20 miles
eat
20 miles
find nearest pub.

Job done!

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Make sure you are fully hydrated before starting and think about where you can top up water. Dont forget a few quid/card and a face mask.

Top Bottom