First 25 mile TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
I did my first 25 mile TT today - 2 laps of the B10/44 Bungay/Earsham course with Godric CC. The weather was perfect - nice and sunny with a light tailwind on the return leg. Given the unknown quantity, I was aiming inside 1:10.00 to average 35kmh.

To begin to warm up, I decided to ride the 9 miles to HQ with plenty of time to spare, and at a high cadence. Having signed on and left my bag, I went for a 5 mile spin on the course and then waited for my start time.

I knew that I would be much slower on the second lap so I tried to take it gently from the start. It didn't take long to settle into a rhythm but it was a bit disconcerting that I couldn't see the minute man in front apart from when he had made the turn.
I had my GPS mounted between my arms on the tribars which I had started at the 10 seconds to go warning so I could check average speed and distance occasionally. My 10 mile time came up at 24:50 and the full lap was around 30:30 and I felt that 1:05.00 might be attainable. At 36km I suddenly felt bad and the speed dropped to 32km/h for 30 seconds. I took a sip of water, stood up on the pedals and pulled it back to 36km/h. Again with less than a kilometre to go and passing the layby where everyone had parked, I felt the speed dropping again. I knew it wasn't far now and stood up to give it one final effort to get back up to 36km/h.

In the end I finished 7th out of 16 with 1:05.08. I am very pleased with it having never ridden more than about 20km flat out on the bike before. Average HR was 181 which is what it remained at almost constantly, and average cadence was 97. There is definite scope for improvement and perhaps something a little closer to the hour!

domtyler

Über Member
A very respectable time Will, well done.

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
A few pics:

2872453567_3da01014ac.jpg

2872450531_ce783ed4b1.jpg

2872452189_108b154186.jpg

shooter560

Great ride mate, so pleased for you ;)

I'm sure you'll be under the hour soon enough, especially now you know what you can do.

jasper

Nice one fella...those next five minutes are gonna be the hardest of your life...but persevere and you'll get there.

By the way, that shirt will be murder to clean if you race in the wet without mudguards lol

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
jasper said:
By the way, that shirt will be murder to clean if you race in the wet without mudguards lol

Haha - my makeshift skinsuit was just a pair of bibs with one of my UnderArmour tops which I usually use for hockey. They've seen plenty of mud on certain pitches where footballers are allowed to play and as much time being soaked with Vanish to maintain that whiteness!

jasper

I was just having a dig at the mudguard crew...:laugh: never use them myself

Tynan

Veteran
gawd, I followed will on the Dunwich and can vouch for his speed

not sure about the outfit mind ...

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
Thanks - all ebay apart from the wheels and saddle!

I took it out on a uni ride the other day as I broke my road bike and was towing a couple of guys lead out style to a usual sprint point at 50km/h maintained - can't do that on my road bike!

Just need a disc wheel now - although again, bargain is important and I hear disc covers are a pretty good alternative.

Top Bottom