First 4 hours with my new Garmin GPSmap 60Csx GPS unit and City europe mapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
bertie_boy said:
I have been following this thread with great interest. I am at the stage above where I am trying to get my track into GPSbabel and out as a route. I can get this to happen but when I open up the file in Mapsource the pink route is full of little black flags, how do I lose the flags?

The black flags are the trackpoints from the original track.

You could try opening the two files (ie the before and after) in a text editor and comparing them. It could be that the conversion hasn't happened (so you won't see any routepoints in the GPX file) or the conversion has included the trackpoints as well as the routepoints. Presumably there is an option in GPSBabel that let's you choose whether or not to include the trackpoints in the route file in which case you might want to turn it off.

bertie_boy

andym said:
The black flags are the trackpoints from the original track.

You could try opening the two files (ie the before and after) in a text editor and comparing them. It could be that the conversion hasn't happened (so you won't see any routepoints in the GPX file) or the conversion has included the trackpoints as well as the routepoints. Presumably there is an option in GPSBabel that let's you choose whether or not to include the trackpoints in the route file in which case you might want to turn it off.
Thanks for reply. I can confirm it has converted because the track now appears under the route tab in Mapsource. I cant see how within GPSBabel you can lose the black flags. I have downloaded latest version but still cant see how to do it (its gonna be something simple I know:blush:)

MockCyclist

Well, possibly it depends upon where the track file originated from.

The post to which you replied talked about a track from bike route toaster.

I've just successfully converted a track downloaded from bike route toaster into Garmin format and there are small black squares at each waypint, but no flags.

Using gpsbabel, I converted from (Input) GPX XML to (Output) Garmin MapSource - gdb. Tick "what?" Tracks only (de-select Waypoints and Routes). Under the "filter" button, transform Tracks > Routes.

bertie_boy

MockCyclist said:
Well, possibly it depends upon where the track file originated from.

The post to which you replied talked about a track from bike route toaster.

I've just successfully converted a track downloaded from bike route toaster into Garmin format and there are small black squares at each waypint, but no flags.

Using gpsbabel, I converted from (Input) GPX XML to (Output) Garmin MapSource - gdb. Tick "what?" Tracks only (de-select Waypoints and Routes). Under the "filter" button, transform Tracks > Routes.
Hi
Thanks for reply. I have created a file in Toaster, saved as a GPX. Then followed your instructions for GPSBabel. Still get same problem (see image below)
garmin1.jpg

I dont know if its a setting within mapsource that is causing the problem. Any clues?

MockCyclist

That's a bit of a puzzle if you have the same gpsbabel settings as me. I'm not getting those flags. You de-selected Waypoints and Routes?

In toaster, I picked Download, File, gpx. Your MapSource is a later version than the one I use but I'd be surprised if that makes any difference.

The flags are a nuisance on the screen - I have seen them - but have you actually tried uploading the route to your gps? Do the flags transfer?

As a last resort you may be able to save your route with flags as .gpx then hack it with a text editor to remove the flag icon. I think you can safely strip out all the <sym> lines. It all gets a bit geeky though.

Top Bottom