First 50 mile ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freestyler

Long time lurker first time poster. I completed my furthest ever ride today, 50 miles! My average speed was 14.5mph which I'm quite pleased with. Legs are aching quite a bit but that normally happens when I go further than normal. I ride on a trek hybrid bike and dream of getting a super lightweight road bike when I finally get a job but I am about to start uni so that will be a while off!

I ride around Cheshire which is a very nice place in the country and almost all drivers are excellent around here. The biggest problem are the quality of roads is poor especially around farms so you have to constantly watch out for pot holes! Anyway I've been riding for 2-3 years and it has drastically improved my fitness levels and I lost 3 stone in weight. Before I began cycling I couldn't do 10 minutes of exercise without feeling sick!:laugh:

boh67

well done mate, I did my longest ride (30) last weekend. Looking forward to breaching the 50 miles

wisdom

Guru
Well done on the ride its a good distance and a nice average speed .
As for the roads they seem like that al around her.Keep up the good work

paul04

Über Member
Well done on doing 50 miles. I did my 1st 25mile bike ride yesterday, and your right about the poor quality of the roads.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done on your 50 miler. I passed that milestone myself last week and I still feel chuffed to bits about it 8 days later.
Your average time is impressive too.
Hold on to the road bike dream, it will spur you on.
I reckon that there are going to be a lot of nice bikes on ebay over the winter as the summer wannabe's sell their expensive road bikes. You might pick up a bargain, even on student money.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Well done. I have the 50 in my sights for near future, so I love hearing of others hitting it for the first time.

OP
OP
Freestyler

Freestyler

Thanks guys my hybrid is a trek fx 7.3 so its quite decent. I have both tyres at 100psi which helps improve my overall speed. Think 50miles is my limit before having to take a snack break and also needing a new bottle of water.

Licramite

Über Member
well done - I did my first 50 last month, on my hybred - aiming for 65miles next heytesbury to west bay - a few hills in the way but looks well do able

Top Bottom