first 50 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill-H

slow and steady
wow a incident packed ride had to call ambulance for a man lying in hedge two clipless moments one in a high street. 5hours 30 total ride 4hours 45 moving time 50.1 miles average speed 10.6 and 4 strava personal records all in all a long way to go yet but i feel buzzing after it

Cyclist33

WELL DONE! Great summary. Feels good doesn't it. I only managed 48 today, was gasping for most of it. Putting my feet up for a couple of days!

Stu

OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
i think that will be a while but its going well and i did 48 a couple of months ago and was gutted as thought i did the fifty i admit to doing a extra lap of local estate to make sure i cleared the 50

Cyclist33

i think that will be a while but its going well and i did 48 a couple of months ago and was gutted as thought i did the fifty i admit to doing a extra lap of local estate to make sure i cleared the 50

Perfectly reasonable. I knew I could have popped down the lane and back to get a 50 but to be honest I was so jiggered all I wanted was a big mug of coffee and a heated living room!

Davehateshills

Very well done on your first 50!

I did my first 50 last Sunday (following a failed attempt the week before where I manager 48.9 due to miss-information) Anyway, Sunday's ride was hard, very hard including the longest continuous climb in England...... Cragg Vale (a big old 5 1/2 mile climb). Anyway, I thought I would go for a 'flatter' ride today and headed out toward Cheshire and the ride ended up at 50.7 mile! So that's two in one week!

Where is the cigar smoking smiley? ^_^

Well done, i usually end up doing a short circuit or two to make up miles to the 40 mark on the local estate, even though I know I have done the 60Km, I went out Wed evening to do another 16 miles to make it a 1000km for the month even though the afternoon ride i had passed 600 miles for the month, my best month since i started in June, but my avg sp is going down and down, but on the other hand this wk so far I have climb at 3 times the rate of my fastest wks 2120ft per ride as opposed to 710 ft a ride or 28.56ft per mile as opposed to 52.3 ft per mile. and an avg ride distance of 24.85 miles to this weeks so far avg of 40.51 miles per day.

RWright

Guru
wow a incident packed ride had to call ambulance for a man lying in hedge two clipless moments one in a high street. 5hours 30 total ride 4hours 45 moving time 50.1 miles average speed 10.6 and 4 strava personal records all in all a long way to go yet but i feel buzzing after it

Sounds like an exciting day! Well done :thumbsup:

NickJ95GB

i remember on my first 40 miler this summer it was an incredibly hot day and there was a largish fire in some long dry grass and we had to call the fire service :biggrin:

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I was planning my first 50 today with a trip from Swansea to Pembrey. However, the wind and rain may not be the best for a long coastal ride.

I few chores to be one first and then I'll decide. A couple of 30 milers today and tomorrow may be better this week and I may keep the 50 for a crisp, sunny autumn morning.

rb58

Enigma
Well done. Good feeling isn't it! I found that once you reach a 'significant' distance, additional miles become easy - it's just longer time in the saddle. So, you might find your progress from here is faster than you'd expect! How about aiming for the century a month challenge in 2013 (metric or imperial - your call). There are separates threads on these in the Rides section.

Well done, and RB is right its just longer in the saddle, even when your tired you will be amazed what you can keep doing.
I do 30's-low 40 's every time I go out these days , I did 55.87 on Wed but I had a break in between the two rides, but my biggest achievement last month was the extra 116 miles over the previous month and the extra 13,000ft I climbed.

Top Bottom