First attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adyc

Hi, recently purchased a "oldy" to have a go at restoring and riding. Its a Raleigh olympus. In pretty good condition for its age with not too much to actually do apart from the usual :cables, tyres etc.
The tyres are causing me a few headaches though due to the size of the wheels.
They're marked as 26 x 1 1/4 ??
I've had a quick look online for tyres but not too many to choose from and not totally sure that they are even correct.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

midlife

Guru
Iirc Olympus was a 26" wheel bike for youngsters who were not big enough to fit an adult bike. Is it too small for you!?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
26 x 1 1/4 makes it old. My 1950 Raleigh Sports uses that size.

The tyres will probably be the same size as 32-597. I fitted Schwalbe HS130 tyres to mine.

OP
OP
adyc

adyc

Iirc Olympus was a 26" wheel bike for youngsters who were not big enough to fit an adult bike. Is it too small for you!?
Its a 21 inch frame so in todays terms about 53cm... so not that small really.

OP
OP
adyc

adyc

26 x 1 1/4 makes it old. My 1950 Raleigh Sports uses that size.

The tyres will probably be the same size as 32-597. I fitted Schwalbe HS130 tyres to mine.

I thought it was early 70's, looking at the old advertisements and other posts I've seen.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I thought it was early 70's, looking at the old advertisements and other posts I've seen.

Could be 70's with this advert:

Olympus.jpg

Not the most advanced design though from Raleigh; it's drawing on older Raleighs. You'll be fine with 32-597.

@adyc Try here for a tan wall tyre: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine...ge-Bicycle-White-Tan-Black-Wall-/121045793674 £9 each

OP
OP
adyc

adyc

Could be 70's with this advert:

View attachment 452112

Not the most advanced design though from Raleigh; it's drawing on older Raleighs. You'll be fine with 32-597.

@adyc Try here for a tan wall tyre: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine...ge-Bicycle-White-Tan-Black-Wall-/121045793674 £9 each

Thats the one !!
If I can get the tyres, then its just the jeans and shoes left to find !!

midlife

Guru
Its a 21 inch frame so in todays terms about 53cm... so not that small really.

Being a bike essentlly for big children it has 26" wheels, short top tube and I sure shorter cranks It's very different from an adult 21" with 27" wheels and an adult sized frame.

Just didn't want you to spend time and money on it if you are going to be very cramped riding it

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Top Bottom