First attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
26" wheeled drop bar bikes were common in the sixties and seventies. They were at the cheaper end of the market where they were known as "Sports bikes".

OP
OP
adyc

adyc

Being a bike essentlly for big children it has 26" wheels, short top tube and I sure shorter cranks It's very different from an adult 21" with 27" wheels and an adult sized frame.

Just didn't want you to spend time and money on it if you are going to be very cramped riding it

Fair comment, I picked the bike up for £25, only intend on using it for a couple of short vintage rides then hang it up in the garage !

OP
OP
adyc

adyc

Yes, they're just a little fatter but what a price! Buying a pair would be more than the bike is worth. Biggsy's suggestion would be better. How do you feel about Midlife's observation?

Yep, bit pricey. Found a pair of the Kendas inc tubes for £20.99 del'vd so will prob grab those.

OP
OP
adyc

adyc

I think that’s a very pretty bike, I’m sure there was someone on the Vintage Raleigh/ Vintage British bike Facebook page that was refurbishing one of those last year

Yeh, I have read his post and now am very jealous of his results!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
26 x 1 1/4 makes it old. My 1950 Raleigh Sports uses that size.

The tyres will probably be the same size as 32-597. I fitted Schwalbe HS130 tyres to mine.

Not that old, I had Raleigh and BSA "racers" from about 1980, that had 26" x 1 1/4" steel wheels. They were still a common size in the 1980s,

Being a bike essentlly for big children it has 26" wheels, short top tube and I sure shorter cranks It's very different from an adult 21" with 27" wheels and an adult sized frame.t
26" wheels were often fitted to the smallest couple of frame sizes of a model, to avoid the geometry compromises that would be necessary to fit 27" wheels. I had 26" wheels on 19 1/2" frames, which I would not describe purely as ""childrens" sizes as there are plenty of adults who can't ride a large frame, especially females.
Don't forget cable-braked light roadsters often have 26" wheels (albeit usually 590 not 597 size), and they are often large size frames. I've got a 23" frame size 3-speed with 26 x 1 3/8" wheels.

Fields Electric

I have an ancient ladies roadster (The master is fond of it) from the 1950/60’s it was originally fitted with 26 1/4 wheels. It did not originally have any gears, I stumbled across a decrepit roadster with a 26 1 3/8 wheel with a 3 speed Sturmy Archer. Two problems, the thicker wheel means the brake blocks jam in the frame. Not good! The rim is badly corroded and I cannot adjust the spokes. I am thinking of rebuilding the wheel with either the original 26 1 1/4. Which would probably fix the brake issue, but would cause issues with the tyres. Or I could fit a brand new more fashionable size rim. But what size? Any thoughts?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't go for 26" x 1 1/4". It's pretty much an obsolete size and even if you can find new rims, you will discover there is only a poor range of tyres available in that size. On the other hand, 26" x 1 3/8" is still fairly common, some new bikes are still made with those size wheels, and you can get decent tyres for them like Schwalbe Marathons.

Fields Electric

Thanks, just an update. Done a lot of research on tyre sizes from this era. I have discovered that the rim on the 26 x 1 1/4 is a slightly larger diameter and is narrower the 26 x 1 1/4. 597 instead of 590. I may have a source for the older rim. I am hoping that will elevate the ‘brake jam‘ issue. This is where the brake shoes jam between the rim and the bike frame. I seem to remember this problem from an old 26 x 1 3/8 inch machine from my younger days. I appreciate that there is a patchy source of Schwalbe 32 * 597 tyres. But they last well, I have one on the front. They will probably keep the machine running for the current pandemic issues. I Just don’t want to spend too much time on it.

Fields Electric

Thanks, just an update. Done a lot of research on tyre sizes from this era. I have discovered that the rim on the 26 x 1 1/4 is a slightly larger diameter and is narrower the 26 x 1 3/8. 597 instead of 590. I may have a source for the older rim. I am hoping that will elevate the ‘brake jam‘ issue. This is where the brake shoes jam between the rim and the bike frame. I seem to remember this problem from an old 26 x 1 3/8 inch machine from my younger days. I appreciate that there is a patchy source of Schwalbe 597

Thanks, just an update. Done a lot of research on tyre sizes from this era. I have discovered that the rim on the 26 x 1 1/4 is a slightly larger diameter and is narrower the 26 x 1 3/8. 597 instead of 590. I may have a source for the older rim. I am hoping that will elevate the ‘brake jam‘ issue. This is where the brake shoes jam between the rim and the bike frame. I seem to remember this problem from an old 26 x 1 3/8 inch machine from my younger days. I appreciate that there is a patchy source of Schwalbe 597

Freemans of Norwich are good for vintage stock.

https://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/vintage-retro-stock/vintage-retro-rims.html

Chris S

Legendary Member
Thanks, just an update. Done a lot of research on tyre sizes from this era. I have discovered that the rim on the 26 x 1 1/4 is a slightly larger diameter and is narrower the 26 x 1 1/4. 597 instead of 590. I may have a source for the older rim. I am hoping that will elevate the ‘brake jam‘ issue. This is where the brake shoes jam between the rim and the bike frame. I seem to remember this problem from an old 26 x 1 3/8 inch machine from my younger days. I appreciate that there is a patchy source of Schwalbe 32 * 597 tyres. But they last well, I have one on the front. They will probably keep the machine running for the current pandemic issues. I Just don’t want to spend too much time on it.
There are a pair of 'new' 597 tyres on ebay with a starting bid of £1.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-x-11-...836462?hash=item5b7a8935ae:g:EuwAAOSw-1te4KZt

Top Bottom