First Bike- Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trentl

Hi guys and gals,
So I just moved to Denver, CO, and I'm looking to start commuting via bicycle. It'll be mostly city streets. I'm a straight up beginner when It comes to cycling. I'm hunting around for a bike to start with, and its gotta be within a budget. I've been hunting around the internet for awhile and I'm looking for opinion from some experienced riders.Heres the link.. http://bikeshopwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/BSW_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=326
The price is right, but I'd like to hear from others on what they think as far as its quality. I'm 5'11" weighing approx. 180lbs. Also I'm more than welcoming to other suggestions! Thanks!!

Hi guys and gals,
So I just moved to Denver, CO, and I'm looking to start commuting via bicycle. It'll be mostly city streets. I'm a straight up beginner when It comes to cycling. I'm hunting around for a bike to start with, and its gotta be within a budget. I've been hunting around the internet for awhile and I'm looking for opinion from some experienced riders.Heres the link.. http://bikeshopwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/BSW_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=326
The price is right, but I'd like to hear from others on what they think as far as its quality. I'm 5'11" weighing approx. 180lbs. Also I'm more than welcoming to other suggestions! Thanks!!

Welcome :welcome:
It's a very similar bicycle, and spec, to one of my favourite bikes. The only thing that may take some getting used to, is that handlebar stem. That design is notorious for developing a creaking noise. Other than that, I reckon it will be very much the sort of bike you'd be after.

I have one of these

image.jpeg

I'm about the same height as you are, I'm a little lighter, but the bike you see here is very nice for commute type riding. The one you have linked to is not too dissimilar.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Hi guys and gals,
Not many here in the Uk will be familiar with either that bike, or the US market in general, so I'd probably search out a forum closer to home, so they can point out the bargains. They'll also try and persuade you to spend more (probably $500), but that's not totally bad, as you will get less bargain basement parts and a more enjoyable machine to operate, that will last longer.

What I would add is that as comfortable as the 'Dutch' upright riding position is at low speed and in town, it's a pain in the butt when you get fitter/head out of town/meet decent headwind. Have a look at flat bar bikes and also, don't fear drop bars - You can ride them like a flat bar and because there are more options for placing you hands, you won't end up with numb fingers as you can shift your hands around.

That's my 2c.:smile:

Russell

Top Bottom