First bike for an European road tour but flexible enough for other uses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mrdini

Thanks all for the thoughts! A couple of points to address...
This is an organised tour with support & everything so I feel that would be good. It's meant to be a challenge (hence the distances) so am willing to give it my best shot :smile: I do want to get into cycling a bit more & using this adventure to push me a little!

I was suggested to look at drop bars due to the long distances being covered on a couple of days. Because there'll be support, I won't need panniers for the adventure itself - but I do definitely want the option/mounts as it'd make the bike more useful for commuting.

The Camino looks nice and good reviews but all of their store locations are up in the north :sad:

I do plan to look into joining a road club (Excelsior?) to build up confidence & endurance on the road a bit more...

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The Camino looks nice and good reviews but all of their store locations are up in the north :sad:
They will courier for you to try a hire bike, and IIRC, if you buy, the cost comes off the purchase price. There are owners on here, if you search.

They will also happily customise, albeit they tend towards SRAM kit.

OP
OP
M

Mrdini

They will courier for you to try a hire bike, and IIRC, if you buy, the cost comes off the purchase price. There are owners on here, if you search.
For a second bike, I'd happily consider an online store, but I'd really rather buy from a local store for now so I can try etc.

A local store has suggested to look at gravel bikes as cyclocross bikes can be a bit aggressive for long rides and more specifically the Specialized Diverge E5 which sounds good on paper...

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
For a second bike, I'd happily consider an online store, but I'd really rather buy from a local store for now so I can try etc.

A local store has suggested to look at gravel bikes as cyclocross bikes can be a bit aggressive for long rides and more specifically the Specialized Diverge E5 which sounds good on paper...
tbf it's a very different proposition to an online store:

https://www.alpkit.com/support/stickies/sonder-bike-demo-days

lane

Veteran
Has anyone had any deleterious consequences of not using it to commute?

Serious Q, I don't know the answer.
Can't speak for eveyone but where I work no and I know of other places the same. Don't know of any where it isan issue personally.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Diverge should suit you well. Your LBS are correct an adventure/gravel bike will have a longer wheelbase for stability, relaxed frame angles and a more upright position for comfort.
Use your proving rides to find out if the saddle suits you, you don't want to realise its a PITA on a long trip.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Of all the bikes I’ve had/have I would do both on my Surly Disc Trucker. It’s done Europe but not commuting, although it is ideal. Comfy and quick enough and the discs are essential for a commuter. I hated rim brakes when I did commute for 5 years in London. I use a Surly Big Dummy for the school run for reasons too boring to post here.

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
What would HR do? I suspect they (we :okay:) know darn well what the C2W bikes aren't being used for!

Disciplinary Class Action appeals not a jot!
I work in HR and if this was the biggest hassle I had to deal with I would be having an easy week. Rest assured the HR police couldn't give a toss

Can also recommend a gravel bike especially one which can take 700 and 650b wheels if it's going to be a do-it-all bike.

Top Bottom