First bike, need something cheap and reliable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I would avoid suspension all together, really not necessary for your usage. Go for a size Medium which usually equates to around a 17” frame.

OP
OP
Kenny Pride

Kenny Pride

A lot of the 90s ones in the link Cycleops posted are without suspension, but I think most are american or ltd eds. I've seen a few Marin bikes on eBay that look retro cool, but none near me. What are some classic 90s models to look out for in UK at this price range?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Something like this would be perfect imho;

£140 in York

Before lockdown we were selling these for between £125 and £200 depending on spec and condition

View attachment 537967

View attachment 537968

View attachment 537969

View attachment 537970

View attachment 537971

View attachment 537972
mm - I'd avoid anything with suspension for what the OP wants/needs the bike for.

I'd go for a second hand steel Ridgeback with 700 wheels.
And the Park book of bike maintenance.
The original bike might be a 7 speed triple but could be converted to 8 or 9 speed in time.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A womens frame might be easier to live with, if you need to get on and off frequently and have a bulky backpack. Pre-virus, you could hardly give away a lot of 90's vintage budget end MTB's and hybrids. Other than being durable, the most important feature of any sort of transport hack for use in London is it needs to be as unattractive and worthless looking as possible. Normally when people look for a bike, they try to get the nicest looking machine for their money, but for deliveries and station commuting you want the opposite, but at the same time you want sound mechanicals that will stand up to intensive use with minimal care.

OP
OP
Kenny Pride

Kenny Pride

A womens frame might be easier to live with.
I had considered this, but it's a really last resort. Hopefully a mountain bike will be a lot more manageable for getting on & off.
And much as I do prefer the simplicity of a single speed, I realistically haven't got the leg strength to ride one for hours at a time.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks, that's certainly doable. Will give it a whirl.

Regarding old school I also saw this - it is too basic? Or possibly a fraction too high? It does have slicks already on it which is a bonus.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/ridgeback-ladies-gents-unisex-bike-/1379602411
Looks good to me, Marathon tyres are a plus.

Given some basic maintenance it should be a good workhorse. Plan on new cables and brake pads. Check the seatpost is not stuck.

Good price - move quickly!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks okay. Do all the usual checks, Wiggle cranks to check bb play, spin wheels and check spokes are tight, hold front brake on and pull bars back and forth to check headset play. None are dealbreakers especially at that price.
Budget to replace brake blocks, cables and chain. Good luck.

OP
OP
Kenny Pride

Kenny Pride

Thanks for the advice guys. The Ridgeback was way too small for me, but the Carerra felt right so went with that. It feels suprisingly light and much smoother to ride than the borrowed Bianchi I've been on. I've taken it round the local community bike place to measure the chain with a cc-32 checker thing, and it failed on .5 and .75. What would be a suitable quality replacement chain for this type of bike?

I also measured the chain on the more expensive Bianchi I borrowed, and it failed the .5 test, and almost the .75 test, so I guess that needs replacing too before I give it back. Again, what would be a suitable chain/price for a £500 bike? (one of these)

Last edited:
Top Bottom