First Bike Purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mburke688

Hi all,

I am looking to get into cycling and looking for advice on what bike I should purchase. I currently have a mountain bike and although it's an okay bike I'm looking for a road bike to travel longer distances and adjust better on the hills.
If anyone has some advice on some beginner road bikes I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s your budget?
How quickly do you want it?
Are you prepared to buy used?

DSK

Welcome. I'm sure there will be some great responses and suggestions for you from those who own the type of bikes you are looking for.

It would be worth knowing what your idea of long distances and price bracket are as that can impact the recommendations.

Personally, I have ridden a Trek Domane and would recommend that as a distance orientated road bike. The Giant Defy models would be a worth a look also in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
How much time are you spending on your current bike? People do considerable distances on mtb's, so if mechanically sound just get out there. A mtb usually has very low gearing, so should be good for hills. Replacing nobbly tyres for slicks will make it easier to ride on the road.
Happy cycling and welcome to cycle chat.

OP
OP
M

mburke688

What’s your budget?
How quickly do you want it?
Are you prepared to buy used?

I've been researching and it appears a decent bike start cost $1500 - $2000 which I am willing to do but don't want to break the bank.
If I could find one within the next month that would be great.
If the bike was in good condition I would consider buying used

OP
OP
M

mburke688

How much time are you spending on your current bike? People do considerable distances on mtb's, so if mechanically sound just get out there. A mtb usually has very low gearing, so should be good for hills. Replacing nobbly tyres for slicks will make it easier to ride on the road.
Happy cycling and welcome to cycle chat.

I have been riding several times a week on current bike. The bike is ok on the hills but not in the greatest condition which is why I was looking to invest in something better.

OP
OP
M

mburke688

Welcome. I'm sure there will be some great responses and suggestions for you from those who own the type of bikes you are looking for.

It would be worth knowing what your idea of long distances and price bracket are as that can impact the recommendations.

Personally, I have ridden a Trek Domane and would recommend that as a distance orientated road bike. The Giant Defy models would be a worth a look also in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to eventually get to 15-20 miles a day; been averaging around 6-8 miles currently. Researching some bikes and to buy a decent one will start at $1,500 - $2,000 so somewhere in there range I would like to start. Lower price is always better if I could find something that is reliable and durable.

Looking at the Trek website are the Domane AL 2 & 3 good models?
AL 2: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...omane-al/domane-al-2/p/23522/?colorCode=black
AL 3: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/.../domane-al/domane-al-3/p/23526/?colorCode=red

I also found this bike on REI; not sure if it's great though: https://www.rei.com/product/166462/cannondale-quick-1-bike-2020

Appreciate all the advice and help

OP
OP
M

mburke688

Do you want flat handlebars or drop handlebars?

Either would be fine

DSK

I used to have a 2010 Trek Alpha 2.3, only sold it a few months as the frame size was small for me. That bike gave me no trouble at all, it was firm compared to the modern carbon bikes I now have but, it was a great, tight ride none the less. I would recommend the AL3 (just a better spec of components) over the AL2. Trek's Climbing bike is the Emonda. They offer that with the aluminium frame as well.

With all due respect those distances you state are no that far at all and any decent bike will munch them with ease.

simongt

Guru
Depending on the quality of your current bike, have you thought of simply modifying that - ? A lot can be achieved this way; better wheels / narrower tyres / tweak the drive train etc.. Save money and give a better idea of what you may like to aspire to later on. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom