First bike ride in 17 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

Ok yesterday was my first bike ride for years.. I did 28 miles but towards the end I found my saddle a bit uncomfortable...like a bit bony if that makes sense...is this normal for a newbie or do I need a more comfortable saddle?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Normal

Do those gel saddle covers add any comfort?
Short term yes, but overall they cause more issues than they fix, and they're damned fugly as well xx(

Decent padded shorts are essential IME :okay:

As TMHNET says, don't make any rushed changes. If the bike is generally comfortable keep going with it, there's no short cut to time spent in the saddle.

If after a while you find it's still the same you can start looking at the set up.

However, if you do remember that a small change, (of saddle angle/position etc), can make a BIG difference, so don't make big changes all at once :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Do those gel saddle covers add any comfort?
No, they can chafe. Get some padded shorts as above...and just ride more to toughen your bum up. 28 miles as a newbie, and a little discomfort sounds like the saddle is probably a good match. If not you'd be feeling it much sooner

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
28 miles is very good if as the thread title says, you haven't ridden for 17 years. Your backside just needs to get used to the saddle,.so give it time. As others have said, a decent pair of cycling shorts would help immensely if you don't already use a pair. However, there are different saddles so if you really don't get on with it, you could look at a more comfortable saddle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you did 28 miles and only felt some discomfort towards the end you did well. Some quite expensive bikes come fitted with cheap thin and poorly shaped saddles but finding the right one is all about getting the right shape for you. You can't really recommend saddles but have a look at the Brooks range, they have quite a choice. My most comfortable saddle was picked up for a fiver second hand.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If it's just a bit uncomfortable, it could just be that your muscles had gotten tired of supporting you in a way that you're not used to and you were pushing a bit heavily on the saddle. If it was actually wincingly painful anywhere, I'd be wondering about trying another saddle shape if it happens again on a ride of similar or shorter length.

Saddle recommendations are difficult because they vary by rider and also bike - my folding bike's saddle would be hell on my road bike.

I also think the cream-filled padded shorts are just a slightly better variation of those saddle covers, albeit often with seams that cut one's bits, but there's plenty of people swear they're wonderful.

johnnyb47

Guru
@hoopym27.
Wow buddy.
I think the only abnormal thing about what you did , was the 28 miles after not riding a bike for 17 years.. Well done you,
If you haven't ridden a bike for a long time your sit bones will need time to get used to riding a bike ( especially 28 miles ). The more you ride the more comfortable your seat should become. Failing that ,after a few weeks try adjusting your seat angle or height. Do this in small movements on each ride until you find it comfy. Changing a seat or putting a cover on it may appear on the face of it to be a good idea but you could end up no better off. A seat the may look comfy can often work out being more uncomfortable.
Good luck with the cycling buddy and well done on your achievement. .

Alan O

Über Member
In the end i realised that harder is better. Doesn't make sense i know, but it's true.
That's the way I find it too. I came back to cycling last year after a long gap (and my first ride of about 5 miles was tough, so I'm very impressed by that 28-miler), and I quickly remembered that my old padded saddle really wasn't that great. I found that a saddle with thinner and firmer padding is significantly more comfortable - for me.

Better than that, though, I prefer a 'hammock' saddle that has a firm surface with no padding, but flexes through being suspended - Brooks leather and Cambium saddles are the best I've found for my bum (though, of course, all bums are different and some people hate Brooks saddles).

But having said all that, I wouldn't consider 28 miles anywhere near enough to break in a bum - I'd say give it a couple of hundred.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
That's the way I find it too. I came back to cycling last year after a long gap (and my first ride of about 5 miles was tough, so I'm very impressed by that 28-miler), and I quickly remembered that my old padded saddle really wasn't that great. I found that a saddle with thinner and firmer padding is significantly more comfortable - for me.

Better than that, though, I prefer a 'hammock' saddle that has a firm surface with no padding, but flexes through being suspended - Brooks leather and Cambium saddles are the best I've found for my bum (though, of course, all bums are different and some people hate Brooks saddles).

But having said all that, I wouldn't consider 28 miles anywhere near enough to break in a bum - I'd say give it a couple of hundred.

Same here. In the end i biught a brooks and personally i love it, but as you say, everyones derrierre is different.

Top Bottom