First bike ride tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Good luck with that, @Daryn ! :okay: Let's hope it's just the start of many happy years spent :bicycle:.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 it's frosty here down south. At least wait until it's warmed up to 4 or 5 degrees which looks to be around lunchtime in Newcastle. But shady spots could easily still be icy

However, looks like you've bought a mountain bike so ice will be less of a concern off road in the woods than on roads on a road bike

If you do ride, make sure you stretch all of your muscles afterwards, and then have the bath

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

Had a great time and it went better than expected although my butt hurts and my legs are like jelly lol. We rode along the cliff tops of South Tyneside and along through the parks before turning back. The first part was a killer I thought my lungs were going to burst out of my chest when we cycled against the wind but once my breathing stabilised it was great. 7.4 miles in under an hour not a record I know but massive accomplishment for me. I have a couple of photos not as many as I wanted but a few.

It was weird when I got off the bike my BIL took a photo of me and it appears my arms are froze in the handle bar position hahahaha.

No ice in South Shields I wouldnt have gone if it were like that but bitterly cold and fresh. Fantastic actually and many other cyclist saying hello along the way and commenting on the lovely weather.

Good to be alive again.

OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

P1000023.JPG
P1000024.JPG
P1000025.JPG

The bil
P1000026.JPG
Hahahaha look at my arms and hands hahaha still holding the bars
P1000027.JPG

Dave7

Legendary Member
Had a great time and it went better than expected although my butt hurts and my legs are like jelly lol. We rode along the cliff tops of South Tyneside and along through the parks before turning back. The first part was a killer I thought my lungs were going to burst out of my chest when we cycled against the wind but once my breathing stabilised it was great. 7.4 miles in under an hour
Good to be alive again.
Well done.
No idea how old you are**......or level of fitness........but My mate is mid 50s and really fit (gym 5 times a week etc.) but when I took him out for his first ride last spring he was well knackered. So east coast in winter........well done sir.
**just seen the photos.

OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

Thank you, Im 49 years young :rolleyes: but very unfit being a taxi driver the last 16 years and hardly any exercise but plenty beers is not the way to go really.

Ive been to that many friends funerals I thought I dont want to be the next one so a bit of a lifestyle change. I love walking but have problems with one of my knees which swells up and goes stiff, now having bother with an elbow the doc tells me its just all a touch of arthritis and my diet doesnt help.

Its just no good I used to be so active and now look like a slob, I loved weight lifting, long walks even skateboarding into my 20's then the taxi lifestyle took over lol and along came the beer belly and before you know it your clothes dont fit lol I feel like crap tbh.

So here comes the baywatch body again, not Pamela Andersons by the way hehehe. :bicycle::hyper:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It was weird when I got off the bike my BIL took a photo of me and it appears my arms are froze in the handle bar position hahahaha.
Mmmmm, had you been gripping the handlebars a bit tight?

My mate is mid 50s and really fit (gym 5 times a week etc.) but when I took him out for his first ride last spring he was well knackered. So east coast in winter........well done sir.
Oh yes, chapeau! I'm really looking forwards to my legs and lungs starting to work properly again in about a month once these arctic winds naff off :sad:

being a taxi driver the last 16 years
I hope you don't suffer from one of your less skilled colleagues failing to overtake properly... but welcome all the same!

grumpyoldwoman

I love walking but have problems with one of my knees which swells up and goes stiff

Bearing in mind that I'm not a doctor,nurse or other qualified medical person,but I had a similar problem with my left knee due to damaging it on a good long walk up around Cheddar Gorge about 4 yrs ago (I also love a good walk!).Suffered quietly (and loudly at times and was on tramadol,co codamol etc for the pain) for ages. Till I started cycling regulary again around about a year ago that is. Since getting back on my noble steed,my knee has given me less and less gyp and I'm off the painkillers most (99% anyway) of the time.It doesn't swell up so much either!

I know it's slightly different to your problems but you never know,you might have similar sort of luck?

Top Bottom