First bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
If there is a Decathlon nearby then checkout their triban range.
html://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-black-id_8331913.html

Not heard anyone complain about them as a first road bike.

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'd second @biggs682 advice to get a second hand bike, you will get a lot more for your money in that price band.

But, if you're keen on buying new, I like the GoOutdoors bike that @Dave7 flagged up the most by far - a triple crankset is really nice to have, 11.5kg is not too bad, and other specs look alright too (plus I'd personally rather the classic curved steel fork than a straight carbon one).

Alternatively, if you're aiming to only keep it six months and then upgrade, as you said in your original post, that's really not very long and if possible you'd likely be better off pooling the money you'd spend on the orginal bike + upgrades and spending it all at once on a slightly nicer bike (new or second hand). Something to consider maybe.

Let us know how you get on!

ChrisEyles

Guru
I looked at the carrera zelos a while ago, seemed like a decent bike for the money. Make sure it fits you well before you buy (if you're not sure how to check, it's worth googling a bit about bike fit, you can also find rough frame size to rider height charts).

OP
OP
Samilktray

Samilktray

Picked up my Carrera today. £190, second hand but only 2 months old. Bloke said he could count on 1 hand the amount of times he'd rode it so its near enough brand new and in immaculate condition. Got the receipts and everything with it so no worries there (I don't think).

Rides lovely, only ever rode mountain bikes and bloody hell it feels quick.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Samilktray glad to hear you found a set of wheels , do you self a favour and get a good local bike shop to grease and set the hubs up as you read loads of cases where the rear axles break on poorly set up Carrera's amongst others

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nowt wrong with carreras they are decent bikes for the money , i use my 2008 vanquish for commuting / winter club rides .
Glad your happy with yours :smile:

Top Bottom