First CC tour - Shropshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

Evening all,

Well the LHT is arriving on Monday and I shall be doing some miles on it in the evenings etc., to get used to it ready for the first tour on it next month. Most likely to be mid-August now, and living in east Cheshire, a 4 day (3 night) trip down to Shropshire and back seems to be in order.

My question for everyone really is are there any suggested campsites that are good in the Shropshire area? I am ideally looking for ones which have a good real ale pub within striking distance. The Good Beer Guide is my friend here though so if campsites are suggested, I'll start delving into the GBG.;)

An exact route isn't formulated yet, but I know of a campsite and excellent beer in Bishop's Castle, but it's a little far for the first day so I'm looking for a campsite somewhere around the Llangollen area. The following day then could be spent dipping into Wales and re-emerging at Bishops Castle.

Thanks everyone.:bravo:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Don't know about the campsites, but i do know about the LHT, had mine a couple of weeks now and love it !

Enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Cheers. Yeah, well I collect it on Monday.;) Go on holiday on Tuesday though. So not much chance to give it a good ride.:biggrin:

Only rode a few touring bikes, but the LHT seemed stable and well built, plus the components are good so it seemed like a no brainer.:wacko:

mcr

Veteran
The youth hostel at Clun allows camping in the garden - an idyllic location and five minutes from two good pubs in the town - but it's only a few miles from Bishop's Castle...

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

mcr said:
The youth hostel at Clun allows camping in the garden - an idyllic location and five minutes from two good pubs in the town - but it's only a few miles from Bishop's Castle...

Cheers. That sounds good . . . nothing stopping us from stopping there, then touring into Wales and re-emerging at BC.;)

Moonpud

The horseshoes at Bridges on the western slopes of long mynd, great pub, could camp at Youth hostel there too, but again this is close to BC. Mate at work also recommends the Swan pub just outside Newport, campsite in Newport but not sure of distances. North farm just out of Ludlow (lots of pubs) has great views and a great walk into town, hard walk out of town when you're drunk and in the dark however:biggrin:

Top Bottom