First Clipless Moment and Gash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deadpool7

It finally happened. I went up north to Sedona, AZ (beautiful red rock) with my wife, MTB, and eggbeaters. Was going up a steep hill and doing great when I came upon a large section of steep rock. I decided I was going to hop off and walk the bike over it as it looked rough. Well, I went to unclip my right foot and thought I had it but didn't. As I was going uphill, the bike lost all momentum and I started toppling left. I got my right foot out but it was already too late and couldn't get my left foot out in time.

I landed well, on my butt and back of hip, and thought, "OK, that wasn't so bad" and that's when the momentum of my upper body caught up with me and my elbow went into a lone, jagged rock. Once again I thought, "OK, that wasn't so bad. Doesn't even hurt. Just a stinger." I got up and looked and had a deep gash with blood pouring out. Had a first aid kit with me so my wife patched me up and rode on.

Got home and cleaned it up and it looked deep so my wife, a nurse, told me I should go get it looked at because I probably needed stitches. I argued that it didn't hurt and wasn't bleeding any longer, but she pointed out that a good chunk of skin was missing. So went to Urgent Care and had to get 5 or so stitches.

Good first clipless moment, huh? Oy. Lol.

Get well soon.

We are often asked what essential kit cyclists should take with them on a ride. I like your style in taking a nurse !:laugh:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I landed well, on my butt and back of hip, and thought, "OK, that wasn't so bad" and that's when the momentum of my upper body caught up with me and my elbow went into a lone, jagged rock. Once again I thought, "OK, that wasn't so bad. Doesn't even hurt. Just a stinger." I got up and looked and had a deep gash with blood pouring out. Had a first aid kit with me so my wife patched me up and rode on.
Got home and cleaned it up and it looked deep so my wife, a nurse, told me I should go get it looked at because I probably needed stitches. I argued that it didn't hurt and wasn't bleeding any longer, but she pointed out that a good chunk of skin was missing. So went to Urgent Care and had to get 5 or so stitches.

Good first clipless moment, huh? Oy. Lol.
Ouch. That sounds pretty bad. Hope it heals quickly. Yet another reason I am loathe to try clipless. At 54, if I landed on my hip I would worry that I may end up breaking it. Maybe just stick to my flatties I think.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow I've been through Sedona, on my way from Flagstaff to Tuscson via the Tonto & Apache Forests. Absolutely stunning part of the world. Arizona is probably my favourite State of the US to visit.

Sorry to hear of your off.. heal quick and well.

OP
OP
D

deadpool7

Where are the pics.^_^
Considered posting but figured I'd spare you all, ;)

By the way, the bike is fine. :-)

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom