First clipless, what to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am fully intending to utilise the works' Cyclescheme affiliation later this year to get myself a nice shiny new bike (budget up to about £800) and want to go clipless as well. Having heard all of the tales of clipless moments, I'd rather get mine over with on a bike I'm not too fussed about, e.g. my ten-year-old Falcon Explorer.
Now, I grant you, I will look a bit of a plank on that with clipless pedals, and will probably double it's value, but this is how I want to do it and I'm going to!
I'd like the reversible type pedals, so if I'm just nipping to the shops and can't be arsed to don the cycling shoes I can use the flat side. I'm also (obviously) after shoes as well since at the mo I used Karrimor trainers.
Does anyone have any recommendations as to which to go for for a clipless newbie?
Oh, almost forgot, I'd like Shimano pedals, unless they aren't as good as everyone says?

rusky

CC Addict
I have some Wellgo/Bikehut double sided ones. SPD compatible.

They do the job for me. Just don't stand on the platform side pegs with no shoes, they take a huge chunk out of your foot & it really hurts.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
if you've got size 10(44) feet you can save some pennies, via moi:biggrin:, on a pair of Northwave Missions, these ones:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Northwave_Mission_ATB_MTB_Cycling_Shoes/5360028005/

the black and grey model, done less than 50 miles in dry Summer, I hated clipless. Visually they look brand new, I'm asking £42 incl postage which, looking at the latest price tag(79.99!!!!!!) is a true bargain. I accept no responsibility if you hate clipless though:smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Browser said:
Now, I grant you, I will look a bit of a plank on that with clipless pedals, and will probably double it's value, but this is how I want to do it and I'm going to!
I'd like the reversible type pedals, so if I'm just nipping to the shops and can't be arsed to don the cycling shoes I can use the flat side.

I bought an old Diamond Back MTB for £12 & fit some shimano clipless pedals :blush: Don't worry about what it looks like, I doubt anyone will notice. I think mine are the Shimano 505 spds (or something similar) double sided spd & on one side I have a platform insert, but very rarely use that, prefer to be clipped in.
I may have a spare pair of the platform inserts. i'll check the garage tomorrow & let you know B)

MacB said:
if you've got size 10(44) feet you can save some pennies, via moi:biggrin:, on a pair of Northwave Missions, these ones:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Northwave_Mission_ATB_MTB_Cycling_Shoes/5360028005/

the black and grey model, done less than 50 miles in dry Summer, I hated clipless. Visually they look brand new, I'm asking £42 incl postage which, looking at the latest price tag(79.99!!!!!!) is a true bargain. I accept no responsibility if you hate clipless though:smile:

Thanks for the offer MacB, but I'm a confirmed 11-12 :smile:

spiro

When I took the leap to clipless I got Shimano M324 pedals (about £30) and a pair of shoes from Lidl (about £18), they have recessed cleats so you can walk on them. Not a massive outlay and you can upgrade to better shoes or pedals later.

:becool: Knickers! :smile:

Soltydog said:
I've found the platform inserts in the garage, so pm me your address if you want them posting. They are like THESE

Thank you for the offer Soltydog, but I've just spotted this link for Shimano A530s in the 'Found A Bargain' sticky and may well go for some of them as they look like they'll do the job.
Thanks again though.
Still open to advice about shoes :becool:

Willo

Am going through the conversion to clipless myself. Re pedals, I looked around and ended up plumping for Shimano A530s (it was me who posted in the found a bargain thread). They look ideal for what I want and are not as big and heavy as others I looked at (and being a tart, they don't look out of place on my road bike).

Re shoes, I've tried on a few pairs over the last couple weeks and am afraid my boring recommendation is make sure you try on a few pairs as sizes really do vary between brands/models. I really liked the Specialized BG Sport MTB shoes but just couldn't get a comfortable fit - either too tight or big, and found they dug in my ankles. Ended up buying a pair of Shimano MO76s yesterday as they were the best fit I could find in my price bracket. Only gripe is that they're a slightly narrower fit than other brands and, whilst they felt okay in the shop, I'm not so sure now I've tried them on again at home so wearing round the house to see how they feel. I've also pasted a link to a Northwave pair - I tried these and they had a more comfortable feel with padding on the inside and a 'ratchet' type adjustment on the top strap but size they had was slightly too small for me.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/bg-sport-2010-mtb-shoe-ec019810

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m076-mountain-bike-shoes-ec017587#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/northwave/lizzard-mtb-shoes-ec011850

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Mark_J said:
Lidl sell cycling shoes? There's nothing on the website. Wouldn't mind a pair at a decent price.

Lidl (and Aldi) sometimes sell cycling kit (twice a year, spring and autumn) - and some of it is very good value (esp. Aldi jerseys, IMHO). It tends to be sold out within 24 hours, but occasionally you will find leftovers. Watch out for alerts on this forum, or register for their online newsletters. Can't understand why they don''t keep some as a regular line as it is so popular.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
just so people know... cycling plus are giving away a pair of clip-less pedals with thier subscription offer this month, SPD's i think

Top Bottom