First close call in about 5 weeks commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
Happened here , Spring Rd, Ipswich (hope the link works!!)

Locals will know that on Spring Road i have just come down a big hill So i'm in a line of traffic sitting in primary all doing 25mph. As the road flattens out the Bus at the head of the que pulls into a bus stop and we all carry on. The cars ahead accelarate to what i assume is 30mph as they aren't going much quicker than me.

The car behind decides the 15m gap in front of me needs filling so overtakes. Now this road at 7.40am has a line of parked cars all the way down so i'm still sitting out of the door zone which means that she cannot see what is coming the other way, it happens to be a transit van.

Fortunatley i hear the car coming so know what's happening and pull over as far as i can giving her room to get through (otherwise i fear i'd have been squished by her hitting me or bouncing off the van into me). :biggrin:

I catch up with her at the traffic lights about 200 yards down the road (don't you always!!) and decided to let her know how stupid that was.

I'm glad to say she was immediatley mouthing 'sorry' so i left it. Hopefully it shook her up enough to be a bit more careful next time!!

Now these camera things......

Could have been nasty.:biggrin:

However, at least she did say sorry, and hopefully she will be a bit more cautious in the future.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Mike! said:
Happened here , Spring Rd, Ipswich (hope the link works!!)

Locals will know that on Spring Road i have just come down a big hill So i'm in a line of traffic sitting in primary all doing 25mph. As the road flattens out the Bus at the head of the que pulls into a bus stop and we all carry on. The cars ahead accelarate to what i assume is 30mph as they aren't going much quicker than me.

The car behind decides the 15m gap in front of me needs filling so overtakes. Now this road at 7.40am has a line of parked cars all the way down so i'm still sitting out of the door zone which means that she cannot see what is coming the other way, it happens to be a transit van.

Fortunatley i hear the car coming so know what's happening and pull over as far as i can giving her room to get through (otherwise i fear i'd have been squished by her hitting me or bouncing off the van into me). :angry:

I catch up with her at the traffic lights about 200 yards down the road (don't you always!!) and decided to let her know how stupid that was.

I'm glad to say she was immediatley mouthing 'sorry' so i left it. Hopefully it shook her up enough to be a bit more careful next time!!

Now these camera things......

My nickname for this: moaac (moe-ack) - must overtake at all costs

Glad you're ok, sounds like you handled it pretty well, even if she didnt. Which makes her lucky and you skilled. :tongue:

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Well i've had another on the way home :biggrin: Same road but further up here

I was minding my own business at about 13mph, primary position as the road here isn't wide enough to overtake with oncoming traffic so i force people to wait.

She pulls out on me from the right hand side (Britannia Road), fair enough i think - no oncoming traffic, nothing behind me so as long as she keeps to the opposite side things are good.

However she comes straight across into the lane squeezing me right against the curb outside the fish and chip shop (swivel to the left). I'm braking hard (it's wet too) and really running out of room - so i bang on her passenger window.

She stops, i stop, she rolls down her window - i say "Jesus, what the f*ck was that", she says "sorry". I then ride off to which she says "oi!!" then proceeds to beep at me further up the road - i just carry on glad to be in one piece again.

Should i have stopped for a discussion? (or whatever it was she wanted) The adreniline was flowing and as it was raining i just wanted to get home!

Not sure what she wanted, maybe she though she had damaged the car or something and wanted my details? Whatever it was her fault so it doesn't matter!!

Should i report it to the police, don't have a registration or anything??

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Mike! said:
Well i've had another on the way home :biggrin: Same road but further up here

I was minding my own business at about 13mph, primary position as the road here isn't wide enough to overtake with oncoming traffic so i force people to wait.

She pulls out on me from the right hand side (Britannia Road), fair enough i think - no oncoming traffic, nothing behind me so as long as she keeps to the opposite side things are good.

However she comes straight across into the lane squeezing me right against the curb outside the fish and chip shop (swivel to the left). I'm braking hard (it's wet too) and really running out of room - so i bang on her passenger window.

She stops, i stop, she rolls down her window - i say "Jesus, what the f*ck was that", she says "sorry". I then ride off to which she says "oi!!" then proceeds to beep at me further up the road - i just carry on glad to be in one piece again.

Should i have stopped for a discussion? (or whatever it was she wanted) The adreniline was flowing and as it was raining i just wanted to get home!

Not sure what she wanted, maybe she though she had damaged the car or something and wanted my details? Whatever it was her fault so it doesn't matter!!

Should i report it to the police, don't have a registration or anything??

She could have been petty, you'll never know tbh and I wouldnt worry about it. I dont think you did anything wrong - that road looks like a fairly bumpy ride too. Its up to you if you stop for a "chat", though half the time in my experience this can just become a slanging match and even if you remain calm they may not.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Glad to hear you are OK Mike, Spring Road is certainly not the best.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Thanks guys, tonight's incident did shake me up a bit to be honest, but i'm proud of myself for bashing hard on her window, riding in the gutter and stopping in the wet at the same time :biggrin:

Top Bottom