First commute - done!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, last Saturday I had to go into the office for a few hours and catch up with some work. Despite the rain, I decided to get 'on my bike' and cycled. This involves traversing the mother of all hills! I got about half way up and really started to struggle. Eventually, I had to get off and walk the last half a mile of the hill but I got to the top. The rest of the journey was event free and I really enjoyed it (about 12 miles total).

My new shimano clip in pedals and shoes were great and really helped maintain momentum. I was also testing my new cycle clothes jersey and tenn shorts. Both performed really well. On the way back, I was flying, but had to take it really easy down the monster hill as it was raining quite hard.

All in all, first commute done! No big dramas and looking forward to building this into my regular schedule.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
You'll beat that hill soon!:sweat:

Well done mate! Also got a killer hill on my commute to work. Most days I can get to the top but still have the odd day when I've got to stop for a short breather...it used to bother me that I'd stopped...now I just remind myself that I'm doing myself more good than going in the car and enjoy the rest of the ride!
Keep it up and you'll soon be flying up that hill (or grinding slowly anyway!)

defy-one

If it has a wide enough pavement .... Snake up that until your hill legs are strong enough!
We all have hills we used to dread .... It will become easier :smile:

Unfortunately, it's a very poorly laid road and tends to get strewn in debris, especially the last 1/2 mile where it is at its steepest.

I may investigate a slightly longer route that tackles the same height, but over about 4 miles, not 2. Hopefully, it should be a bit easier.

Thanks for all the kind words, much appreciated!

Top Bottom