First commute on new bike & got run off the road!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Decided to go for my first commute on my new bike on Sunday morning.

Got a few hundred yards away from home and a car overtook me/tried to squeeze past me as an arctic was coming the other way. She left it far too late, I have no idea what on earth she was thinking on trying to get past at that particular time. It was either ding the lorry head on or swerve into me.

She chose the later. :sad:

I kinda knew it was coming so I swerved as well. Hit the kerb with my front wheel and went down on its side ( luckily not the side with the mech ).

Stood up and shook meself down. bit of a sore knee, but was more concerned about the bike. Picked that up and looked up to see the car casually driving off up the road without a thought about me. Nice. :biggrin:

Bike has scuffed front and rear quick release levers and the left crank has a scuff at its leading edge, but not too bad, quite minor really. Left Ultegra SPD-SL has a scuff too, but I think a bit of wet and dry and a buffing machine will sort that out.

My Probike Kit jacket and tights were minging!!. Grass stains all up the side of me as well as scuffs and deeply ingrained dirt/tarmac marks.

So, a good start to my new fitness regime and commute to work, eh??!!!.

Soldiered on and did the 15 miles to work in 58 minutes, average speed was 14.something or other mph.

Is that ok for a first attempt?. ( Apart from the falling off bit.....lol ).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Respect!

Archie

Errrr.....
Oucho! At least you came out of it without too much injured.
Sorry to hear about the new bike, I'd be gutted to have my new bike bling scratched up like that. :sad: :biggrin:

Did you get the reg? If so definitely report it to the police, and get on to the CTC solicitors to see if you can claim for any of the damage or injuries. I seriously doubt the Police would do more than "have a word", but you'd probably have to report it anyway for the claim.

Keep at the cycling though, and read cyclecraft as that will give some good advice on how to ride to prevent these type of overtakes.

Very good effort for a first commute I'd say.

Sympathies on the crash. Get the reg if you can next time and report them. Leaving the scene of an accident.

Has anyone mentioned cyclecraft to you? Might help you out as riding a bike as a roaduser is not like a motorcycle or car.

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Thanks for the cyclecraft link, I'll look into that.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the reg plate, just know it was a dark coloured BMW, quite new, think it was a 5 series.

I think i learned a wee lesson though. Was speaking to a mate who has been cycling for years and regularly commutes to his work on almost the same stretch of road as me. He asked how close I was riding to the kerb and when I described my road positioning, he reckoned I should be sitting a bit further out than I was as this discourages drivers behind you from "squeezing past" and makes them more inclined to wait for enough space for a proper overtake.

So I conciously sat out a bit further on the way home and it seemed to help.

I was quite chuffed with the first attempt at the commute, I had no idea how it would go. I do very little in the way of cardio in the gym, a little bit of Concept II rowing but mainly weights and bagwork.

Also, I'm still getting the hang of the gears, so I reckon my times will start getting better over the next few weeks as I get used to the bike and gears. I certainly enjoyed it though, made me feel fresh and set me up all through the working day!!.

I can safely say I'm hooked!! :biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
...as long as you're not 'left hooked' you'll enjoy it!! :blush:

Sending you good wishes for your outing.... :sad:

... and sending thoughts of a car crash and syphillus to the blind driver! :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
That's a bugger on your first ride out. BMW you say? Well, frankly, I'm shocked :biggrin:

Anyway, chapeau for carrying on regardless.

snorri

Legendary Member
RSV_Ecosse said:
Also, I'm still getting the hang of the gears, so I reckon my times will start getting better over the next few weeks as I get used to the bike and gears.
Don't think too much about your times, just think of your safety and the times will improve without regular monitoring.
The road positioning is indeed all important, there is a section on this in Cyclecraft, if only you had.......;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yep your mates right. On narrower roads primary position is the position to take which blocks the majority of idiots such as this trying to squeeze through a gap which is not there.

Shady

Yep agree with all the others before me about Cyclecraft, very good book and I would also recommend City Cycling as well.

Links here for amazon if you want :

Cyclecraft - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221510178&sr=1-1

City Cycling - http://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Cyclin...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221510128&sr=8-1

Road positioning as mentioned earlier is all important as your mate and other ppl have advised - if you allow just enough room for a car to squeeze past it normally will !!

Just remember that a lot of car drivers just simply do not give cyclists respect on the road and would much rather not have you on the road as an 'inconvenience' to their ever so important car journey.

All the best.

Shady ;)

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Thanks guys, I've just ordered that from Amazon.

Should be a good read.

I'm learning quite a lot from just browsing these forums, seems like a great place to pick up good info from. ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
RSV_Ecosse, glad you were not badly hurt and the bike seems to be more or less OK from what you've said. It really was bad luck on the first commute but your attitude to continue riding is great to see. Hope you continue with the ride and the visits to this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom