First commute - Survived to do it again tomorrow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

- Baz -

Well, I've popped my commuting by bike cherry, today! About 14 miles round trip. Slightly downhill (in total) inward journey took 40 mins from leaving home to parking bike (secure basement garage) to sitting at my desk (Manchester city centre). Homeward - got held up by an RTA so diversion - an hour :smile: Would have been longer if I'd been sitting in a tin box...

Observations: Why didn't I start doing this years ago?? Beautiful morning and a rural route for the first ten minutes makes a great start to the day. Drains/pot holes/man-hole covers/bad road repairs are by far the worst hazard. Route on the whole not bad - main road into Manchester (Oldham Road) so used bus lanes/cycle lanes, which again are not bad. Temptation is to push the pedals when there's really no need so arrived at work sweatier than necessary. Max speed 23 mph! Got cramp in my left calf, but not too bad. Bottled out of a busy junction which means crossing traffic, so got off and used the pedestrian crossing :smile: Maybe tackle it when confidence grows. Need some cooler clothes tomorrow. Left my cycle computer at work! Keep forgetting to change down before lights or slow traffic...

Very happy with the new bike - Ridgeback hybrid (Evans). Slight rubbing of front mech in top gear but feels very light and capable with no squeaks or rattles. Gear changing is smooth and brakes are awesome!

The main impression is the heightened awareness needed with so much going on. Wonder how long that'll last? Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow, anyway!

Baz

StuartG

slower but further
It only gets better. well until it rains!

You will soon know the potholes by heart which means they are anticipated and avoided well ahead which helps with the relaxation and fewer last minute swerves. Also you get to anticipate better what most drivers will do at particular junctions - which helps you be more alert for the mad maverick.

Also which gear is best on a slope. and which tighten or relax.

Finally when some idiot does cut too close - be prepared to say 'ce la vie' or whatever. Never hold a grudge or get mad, worrying about the last incident rather than watching for the next is a self-inflicted danger.

Everyday should be a joy!

OP
OP
- Baz -

- Baz -

Thanks, Stuart! Agree with all you say. (Read Richard Ballantine's 'City Cycling' - excellent - but have yet to tackle 'Cyclecraft'. Can't have too much info!)

And thanks for the encouragement. It's much appreciated!

Baz

manualtypist

Congratulations Baz. I just wish more people would take up cycling to work. I love going past people stuck in cars...wind blowing against my face.
Keep at it...even when the weather gets bad.

With all the snow this past winter...when all the cars were slipping and sliding and not making it to work...my bike got me everywhere!

And like Stuart said...don't bother with holding grudges...I really should try that one myself:tongue:

All the best. :laugh:

OP
OP
- Baz -

- Baz -

Again, thanks for the encouragement! After investing in a bike and (most of) the gear I'm determined I'm in this for the long haul (pun intended) :laugh: Besides, I get five hours of my life back every week, and fitter into the bargain!

On a slightly sadder note - turns out that the RTA involved a cyclist :smile: No doubt I'll get all the gory details tomorrow at work...

Baz

manualtypist

- Baz - said:
Again, thanks for the encouragement! After investing in a bike and (most of) the gear I'm determined I'm in this for the long haul (pun intended) :biggrin: Besides, I get five hours of my life back every week, and fitter into the bargain!

On a slightly sadder note - turns out that the RTA involved a cyclist :sad: No doubt I'll get all the gory details tomorrow at work...

Baz

Hope the cyclist was ok.:sad:

Randochap

Senior hunter
Welcome to the world outside of the tin can. As you are experiencing, it's great to be aware of one's surroundings.

Even inclement weather can give one a fine sense of, er, communion with the world.

Happy cycling.

Top Bottom