First commute to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
I done my first commute to work today on my Giant Defy 1 from Maidstone to Tonbridge about 13 miles but a nice flat route. I allowed an hour and a half and done the route in just 50 mins :laugh:

I must admit seeing the sun low in the sky and the crisp morning breeze was lovely. The ride home was a bit more hot and sweaty! I had a stressful day at work but by the time I had cycled home it was all forgotten and I liked that feeling!

There was also not that much traffic on the way there and back despite travelling on the main route between Tonbridge and Maidstone which was nice. I'm already considering extending the ride on nice days like this morning though :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
Do it a few times and you'll be addicted. There's something enchanting about the sights, sounds and smells of the morning commute. A great way to start the day.

OP
OP
boybiker

boybiker

Guru
Do it a few times and you'll be addicted. There's something enchanting about the sights, sounds and smells of the morning commute. A great way to start the day.

Indeed I'm gutted I've got to take the car tomorrow as I need go some where after work :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My first commute today too mate. Absolutely loved it (except the hills :P) cant believe I hadn't done it sooner and cant believe more people dont!

good for you.
Over the years the number fo commuting cyclists in London hs risen dramatically.
In some roads in London cyclists out number cars. It's not uncommon to see 30 or 40 cyclists waiting at junctions during rush hour.

beany_bot

Veteran
good for you.
Over the years the number fo commuting cyclists in London hs risen dramatically.
In some roads in London cyclists out number cars. It's not uncommon to see 30 or 40 cyclists waiting at junctions during rush hour.

Wow, in Glasgow I saw 3 today on the way in and 1 on the way back 16miles total.... Perfect cycling route too as there is (fairly decent) cycle lanes and pretty courteous bus drivers too. ON YER BIKE GLASGOW YA FAT ****!

annaspanna

Used to live in Staplehurst so I know you have a lovely route there! Lucky you :-)

defy-one

30-40 cyclist at major junctions is very common at rush hours.
OP - so envious - wish i could take my Defy to work :sad:

OP
OP
boybiker

boybiker

Guru
Used to live in Staplehurst so I know you have a lovely route there! Lucky you :-)

I might be moving jobs to Tunbridge Wells soon which will be a bit of a pain! The roads to Tunbridge are nice and wide so it stops the closes passes etc.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Wow, in Glasgow I saw 3 today on the way in and 1 on the way back 16miles total.... Perfect cycling route too as there is (fairly decent) cycle lanes and pretty courteous bus drivers too. ON YER BIKE GLASGOW YA FAT ****!
Well, there probably are more people living in London than in the whole of Scotland :rolleyes:

beany_bot

Veteran
Well, there probably are more people living in London than in the whole of Scotland :rolleyes:

You are right, however 5 million in London, 1 million in Glasgow, if there are 30 to 40 cyclists waiting at the lights in London I'd expect to see 7 or 8 at lights in Glasgow but I only saw 3 the whole journey in and 1 the whole journey out.

Top Bottom