First commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

Well i finally did it, been putting it off for long enough. 10.3 miles each way, an hour in and hour 20 home (1/3 uphill). Sore sit bones today but happy i done it, just hope it gets easier. Driving in is a slightly longer route so it costs me a fiver in fuel each shift. I do need to invest in some waterproof trousers though..:rain:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done.
It does get easier.
Come the spring you will be flying.

Forget the waterproof trousers, you will only boil in the bag.
Some good roubaiz tights would be a better bet.
And for the warmer wet weather commute. Shorts are fine.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done on you first commute!
It will get easier for sure, couple of months you will be flying up that hill :thumbsup:

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

thx, yes resting today then hopefully cycling tomorrow night for some lovely double time ^_^
Am happy with most of my cheap purchases to get me started but i didnt need the LS baselayer and my cheapo mudguards are a joke, I should of gone for some full sks 700 guards (black streak back) I guess with most things its trial and error.

livpoksoc

Guru
Good stuff, i found it was quicker to cycle commute at rush hour, driving in Southampton is rubbish!

The sit bones will get more comfortable though you might want to check padding. As for waterproofs, i find them a waste of time if it's only a commute especially if u can shower at working & leave the lycras to dry whilst working

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Good stuff, i found it was quicker to cycle commute at rush hour, driving in Southampton is rubbish!
Southampton traffic is bad, My commute is Fawley to Totton via Marchwood/Pooks Green.

Unfortunately i cant shower at work, just a change of clothes, a wash over and a pikey shower^_^

kedab

Veteran
Well i finally did it, been putting it off for long enough. 10.3 miles each way...:rain:
as has been said, you'll be creaming that come the spring and if the bug bites, looking for some miles to add to the route so that you can stay on the bike for longer - i resigned myself to cycling wet weather all year round, it means i don't keep peeking out of the window while getting ready for a ride and half changing my mind with each layer i put on...just get the wet gear on and go :dry:

livpoksoc

Guru
Southampton traffic is bad, My commute is Fawley to Totton via Marchwood/Pooks Green.

Unfortunately i cant shower at work, just a change of clothes, a wash over and a pikey shower^_^

Yeah it's pretty bad & as with last weeks news it's not massively great for cyclists. Going through the toll on the itchen bridge could get hairy at times!

If you can't shower, consider some leg warmers (i have sepcialized ones) they work like a wetsuit so you don't get cold & keep you relatively dry so u can towel off on arrival.

jarlrmai

Veteran
For some reason i'm getting deliriously happy at the thought of riding in the wet when it's warmer, nothing like a good downpour when you are hot and sweaty.

Top Bottom