First commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Got up this morning, had a coffee and decided I was going to get kitted up and ride in to work.

Albeit, 6 miles, it didn’t actually take me much longer than it would in the car, it was just the getting changed/washed at work that frustrated me.

I merely set off with no Strava segments attempted to improve, no worry about my average speed, just used my cycle computer to tell me the time of the morning it was.

Little worried about the ride home in the dark, should be alright.

One thing I did notice was the passing courtesy from car drivers, more so, the lack of. People are so impatient.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Got up this morning, had a coffee and decided I was going to get kitted up and ride in to work.

Albeit, 6 miles, it didn’t actually take me much longer than it would in the car, it was just the getting changed/washed at work that frustrated me.

I merely set off with no Strava segments attempted to improve, no worry about my average speed, just used my cycle computer to tell me the time of the morning it was.

Little worried about the ride home in the dark, should be alright.

One thing I did notice was the passing courtesy from car drivers, more so, the lack of. People are so impatient.

Good job, I find commuting a mixed blessing. The quality of driving & volume of traffic is not really beneficial.
But the increased base fitness, stamina & general happy feeling, not to be stuck in a car in traffic, out balances that.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Glad to hear you have started cycle commuting.

Why is getting changed and washed frustrating you?
It really isn't a problem as 6 miles is not a long commute so you shouldn't be getting really filthy & sweaty.

Gains84

I find the getting changed/washed/sorted improves with time as with anything, soon itll all be part of your routine once youre used to it. If you have to try get out of bib-longs etc in a tiny toilet cubicle though a bit of gymnast flexibility is helpful!;)

OP
OP
Stu Plows

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Glad to hear you have started cycle commuting.

Why is getting changed and washed frustrating you?
It really isn't a problem as 6 miles is not a long commute so you shouldn't be getting really filthy & sweaty.
I’m not the most slender of people for one and I tend to sweat even getting dressed in the morning haha! It was just the faffing around in the toilet, hopefully as above, I’ll get used to it and get into a little routine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I’m not the most slender of people for one and I tend to sweat even getting dressed in the morning haha! It was just the faffing around in the toilet, hopefully as above, I’ll get used to it and get into a little routine.

Grab yourself a pack of babywipes. Get the scented ones. That's all you will need my friend.

jagman.2003

Über Member
I find the getting changed/washed/sorted improves with time as with anything, soon itll all be part of your routine once youre used to it. If you have to try get out of bib-longs etc in a tiny toilet cubicle though a bit of gymnast flexibility is helpful!;)
Agreed, my routine is alot slicker now. Making sure I have the right kit in the right place & where to store everything. It also gets faster in summer due to less layers.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Impatience, yes, something to get used to, and is the same all over, even here in London they are impatient to get by to join the back of the next queue as quickly as possible, despite the fact that it will take me no time to catch up and pass them again at the next red light...

Mornings are good for me, I can roll out of bed, go do a 13 mile commute in the morning and then get a proper hot shower at work (followed by some brekkie before I start).
Leave at 06:45 get to work for 07:50, be at the desk for 09:00 start, and as I leave quite early in the morning the traffic is less (although not always better behaved, and is dependent on the roads I travel, I find Romford Rd to be the worst on my route).

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Impatience, yes, something to get used to, and is the same all over, even here in London they are impatient to get by to join the back of the next queue as quickly as possible, despite the fact that it will take me no time to catch up and pass them again at the next red light...

Yes.I don't get this,they see a bike and they must get past.Oh and congrats on your first commute.:thumbsup::hello:

On a footnote Frood,must agree I reckon the Romford Road is as bad if not worse than the Mile End Road.

Congratulations on your first commute....my daily commute is a similar distance to yours (extend the trip home by a mile or 2 through the lanes in summer) do it most days unless the weather is really wet or windy (bit of drizzle is okay) or I need to take the car for a particular reason, don't normally get too sweaty... bit of deodorant, change of clothes ready at work and I'm good to start work in 5 minutes...
Hope you keep it up... I reckon even my short commute saves me £60 a month

Chris Swift

For me it's 15 mile commute, I've been cycling half way on various days.... Yday and today next week hope to do 3 days and then the week after try and do 10 miles n so on.

Really enjoying my commute the past 2days

Top Bottom