First Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow down

Finally took the plunge today and used the bike for work after threatening to do so MANY times in the past as I was sick of an 18 mile journey each way taking an hour and a half. For one reason or another just lately I haven't had that much time to cycle, so reckoned it would be a nice gentle start to get back into the swing of things.

Apart from one moron shouting through the passenger window on the way home, it all went well. I was expecting more hassle as I have to skirt Birmingham City Centre, so all A Roads and the like, but may have been helped by it being half term break for the schools.

The upshot - the 18 mile journey there takes an hour, the journey back a little longer at a leisurely pace. So as well as saving money on fuel, I'm also less stressed and saved almost an hour out of my day.

May give it another shot Friday, or if not definitely do a couple of days next week. :ohmy:

Good luck.I started at an early age because I hated travelling with the plebs and had no car.:ohmy:

bonj2

look on viamichelin.com (or google.co.uk/maps with 'avoid highways' ticked) to get a better route on smaller roads

OP
OP
S

slow down

bonj said:
look on viamichelin.com (or google.co.uk/maps with 'avoid highways' ticked) to get a better route on smaller roads

Cheers - I'll have a look later and see if I can find a more cycle friendly route. Even if it adds a few miles (and half hour) to the route, it's gotta be better than risking life and limb on the A34.

Welcome slow down!:biggrin:

I look at commuting as something for nothing. I get two reasonable workouts each day. I take the same time to get to work and I feel de-stressed (despite what my videos would suggest). Why doesn't everyone (who live a reasonable distance from work) do it?:smile:

OP
OP
S

slow down

Tynan said:
18 miles in an hour sounds like a bloody friendly route to me

By cycle friendly I meant slightly less traffic - it may drop the speed to 16mph and increase the distance to 20miles + but I'd probably prefer that to worrying whether the next wing mirror will take me out. Or maybe I just worry too much :wacko:

Keith Oates

Janner
Welcome to the tribe slow down, with more rides and confidence I'm sure you'll soon be doing it more often and if you're like me regret the days you can't do it for some reason or another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gavintc

Guru
magnatom said:
Welcome slow down!:angry:

I look at commuting as something for nothing. I get two reasonable workouts each day. I take the same time to get to work and I feel de-stressed (despite what my videos would suggest). Why doesn't everyone (who live a reasonable distance from work) do it?:smile:

I am with you on this one. It is free exercise time, does not need programming into a busy schedule and you arrive home feeling better for it.

My wife has recently changed jobs, her colleagues are astounded she cycles and runs to work on alternate days. Even when she point out that it is quicker than driving, they still don't get it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
On my commute the traffic isn't too bad- probably because I go the "wrong way"- most people commute towards London since property is cheaper further out. I go the other way (and rent). So I reckon I could drive in 20-25 minutes (9 miles) or 15 mins on the Motorway if lucky. 30 mins on the bike, no matter what. But extra time needed to change. Not bad however.

18 miles in 1.5 hours driving, and half an hour saved by bike is quite something. I'd generally assume that cycling might save time for short journeys across town, or in city centres, but that's surprising.

A

another_dave_b

bonj said:

Multimap gives some options that I like. It has a 'Driving:quickest', 'Driving:shortest', and a 'Walking'.

From the limited use I've given it, 'Driving:shortest' seems the most useful. But I live in a rural area, in an urban environment I suspect the local council's Cycle Route Map would have to be brought into the equation :smile:

Pete

At 18mph you're a lot faster, I guess, than plenty of folks on here*, so you'll probably be more at home on the wider, busier roads, anyway. But no matter, choose the route you like best. My favourite for online maps is Streetmap, not for plotting out a route for me but for seeing the road network so I can choose for myself. I'm a traditionalist you see....:smile:

*almost twice my speed...:wacko:

Top Bottom