First Cycle Commute of 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfgurl

I'm about to embark on my first ocmmute of the year. My bag is all packed, I've got everything I need, I've got my new cycling jersey and gloves ready for action.
And then I look out of the window to discover it's windy and raining - the seagulls are flying sideways, what hope do I have?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My first commute - a right struggle against the wind this morning, and guess what, it's dying down now, so no flyer on the way home.....

Tetedelacourse

Back on bike today for me too after 2.5 weeks off it. I thought it was funny at first having to play keepie-uppie with my now distended stomach after eating like the sultan greedular of fatbastia for 2 weeks, but after 1 mile it got seriously unfunny. New overshoes kept me comfy though and new bag was great. Got to beat last year's distance and I'm now on my way.

HNY to you all.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'll be back on tomorrow after almost a month off the bike. Any Edinburgh commuters using the Roseburn Path or the path up from Leith to Roseburn care to comment on the state of the surface ? Is it all icy and treacherous ?

Having just fitted new parts to replace the ones broken when I fell off a few times on ice in December, I don't want to wreck them again unnecessarily !

The cyclepath along the guided busway at Broomhouse looked deadly and icy this morning, and not a cyclist to be seen on it. Those getting off buses were skating about on the pavements and trying not to fall over.

Perhaps I should start looking tonight at a road route to the Gyle for tomorrow.....

Tetedelacourse

Absolutely zero problems with ice this morning for me Goo but I'm on roads 99% of the way. Although my route does end at Forrester High so I'm in your 'hood at the end of the ride.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Tetedelacourse said:
Absolutely zero problems with ice this morning for me Goo but I'm on roads 99% of the way. Although my route does end at Forrester High so I'm in your 'hood at the end of the ride.

Cheers, Tete.

I'm promising myself that I'm going to start varying my route in 2008 anyway, just to get some variety into the commute. Plus I'm pretty keen to get a road bike in April on the Bike To Work scheme, so I'll be (hopefully) too fast for the paths and have to stick to the roads :angry:

:wacko:

Keith Oates

Janner
I've just moved back to China and a new posting, so bought another bike for commuting at the weekend. However it wasn't until today that I ventured out in the cold morning air and managed to get in a good ride, although the feet and hands were not so happy by the time I reached the destination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biking_fox

Guru
1st rid ein today after the long break for me. It seems a lot darker than it did just before Christmas which is odd. Guess it's just the heavy cloud. Dodged the showers and the cars, legs didn't feel too bad surprisingly but I was somewhat out of puff.

02GF74

Über Member
surfgurl said:
Well I made it to work ok. I really shouldn't have taken the bridleway though, I was caked in mud by the time I got to work.

me took - getting into work not too bad but then it rained all day so ride home was a mud bath. drove in today as couldb't be as5ed to clean kit plus it was raining. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom