first cycling trip abroad !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i am flying out of Luton on Monday morning with sleezyjet on my first cycling venture abroad (majawca-puerto pollensa:becool:) are there any golden rules/etiquette to follow:ohmy:,
all i know is that 2 of my club members have a liking for san miguel:ohmy: and so with that in mind i have learnt the phrase "DOS SAN MIGUEL POVAFOR" or was it "AQUA CON GAZ POVAFOR"

any other hints greatfully welcome

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I try to start my requests, questions etc with the word for please, when using a foreign language. This means that if you make a mistake or forget the end of the sentence, or get interrupted, then you have still given the impression of being polite. You will also need the word for Thank you.:biggrin:

Maz

Guru
gezza said:
...with that in mind i have learnt the phrase "DOS SAN MIGUEL POVAFOR" or was it "AQUA CON GAZ POVAFOR"

any other hints greatfully welcome
Dos botellas de San Miguel, por favor=2 bottles of SanMiguel, please.
Agua mineral con gas=carbonated mineral water
Agua mineral sin gas=still mineral water
others:
¿Hablas inglés? = Do you speak English?
He tenido un pinchazo, ¿puedes ayudarme?=I've had a puncture, can you help me?

Let me know if you need some more.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hola! = Hello
Gracias = Thank you
Vino Tinto = red wine
Vino BLanco = White wine
Jamon (pronounced Ham on) = Ham
Mas pan, por favor = More bread, please.

Maz said:
Dos botellas de San Miguel, por favor=2 bottles of SanMiguel, please.
Agua mineral con gas=carbonated mineral water
Agua mineral sin gas=still mineral water
others:
¿Hablas inglés? = Do you speak English?
He tenido un pinchazo, ¿puedes ayudarme?=I've had a puncture, can you help me?

Let me know if you need some more.

No gezza doesn't :angry: (sorry Gerry - couldn't resist!) :angry:

gavintc

Guru
A quick toot from a following car is usually to warn of the presence of the car not a 'get out of my way' toot. Therefore do not reply to a toot with a one fingered salute.

Bigtallfatbloke

Good luck for your trip. I would be interested to hear your comments on how easy it is to fly easyjet with a bike and panniers etc...maybe when you get back you could let us know how this part of the trip went? Ta.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There is a golden rule: Be really careful cycling in the rain or even when the road is slightly damp.

At first we were really sceptical when the 'old hands' refused to go out on wet days from Pollensa (and also on the Costa Blanca). What complete wusses we thought - we ride all winter at home!

But the tarmac out there is made with limestone chippings and these get polished where they stick up through the black stuff until they are as slippery as marble. Add in the tyre rubber and spilt diesel that accumulates in the long dry spells, and it's no wonder riders hit the deck so often.

Buy a couple of different maps between you (as they show different details!) and ask around to find (IIRC) what is called the 'pipeline' (?) road. It's the key to being able to get back to Pollensa from the middle of the island on traffic free(ish) roads.

Have fun.

red_tom

Last time I flew Easyjet out of Luton with a bike it was for the Marmotte in 2005. We had a minicab estate booked to take us from the centre of London to the airport but the guy turns up in a bloody nissan micra. After about an hour of faffing about, we managed to get a black cab to take us the whole way. Made check-in with about 30 seconds to spare.

We were due to fly two days before and had just got out of a cab at Kings Cross with the bike bags when everything went a bit mental. It was 7/7/2005. :angry:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Good luck for your trip. I would be interested to hear your comments on how easy it is to fly easyjet with a bike and panniers etc...maybe when you get back you could let us know how this part of the trip went? Ta.

I've done easyjet with a bike. Out to Geneva in a huge cardboard box, back in a polythene bag. No problems at all. Check in early if you can, as you'll be faffing about with the oversize luggage bit too.

Slightly alarmed when it came through on the conveyor belt at Luton though.:biggrin: I'd been expecting an oversize trolley or something.

red_tom said:
Last time I flew Easyjet out of Luton with a bike it was for the Marmotte in 2005. We had a minicab estate booked to take us from the centre of London to the airport but the guy turns up in a bloody nissan micra. After about an hour of faffing about, we managed to get a black cab to take us the whole way. Made check-in with about 30 seconds to spare.

ahem, should of spoken to yours truly:thumbsup: one of your more biker friendly cabbies:thumbsup::biggrin:

Doctor - absolutely correct,my flight is at 8am and i'll make sure that i am there at 6am bang on check-in opening time,if there 's one thing i hate ,it's being late !! so much so that i've paid for priorty check in and speedy boarding;) (emergency exit row seat 12a more leg room:biggrin:)

Cheers Tim,the club members i am going with are seasoned campaigners,dont know whether thats a good thing or not !!!

BTFB - will do

Top Bottom