First Cyclo-Cross For 6 Years Tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I gave myself a stern talking to, after going to watch the 'summer series' CX at Brigshaw School (Kippax, east of Leeds) last month.

Thus, I am day-off tomorrow, there's a Cyclo-Cross in Thornes Park (Wakefield) organised by Wakefield Triathlon Club, & I'm ('up to press') entering:eek:

http://yorkshirecyclocross.com/
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/132533/Yorkshire-Points-Round-3
14:00 start
40 minutes
(it's quite a bit dearer now, than it was back in 2009, at £14.00 - most fell-races are only about £4.00 - £5.00)

Looking at their age-categories. I should be riding as a Vet 50, even though I'm not that age until next month

Got to admit, I know I'll get hammered out there!

I may be quite 'bike-fit', reasonably 'run-fit', but as for 'cross-fit'............................. forget it!!!

Last edited:

dawn72

Enjoy your day, don't forget to let us know how it goes

Phew!!!!!!!!!!

Glad that's over

Rode over to, so a little saddle -pack, with money, phone, BCF card, & flapjack
Chose to wear SkinSuit (glad I did during race), with a long-sleeve jersey over the top, just for the journey to/home from

No points, so right at the back (gridded starts now, for YCCA), 4 of us on the back-row, including one first timer, asking me what happens:eek: (I thought anyone signing up for it, may have some idea?)

By the time we'd got going (with the concertina effect), the leaders had a 500 yard advantage

I knew the course though, & barring one alteration, it was identical to 6 years ago
Fell off once, due to a touch of wheels, no harm done (unlike the Senior race, which, I think, had 2 broken collarbones inflicted)

Made up a few places, couldn't use the larger sprockets with the big-ring (chain a 'hand-me-down', from the Ribble, & a few links too short), as in years gone-by,
it would have been entirely rideable in big-ring (if I had the strength?)

Saw a few riders I knew, some to talk to, some just in passing
- Chris Young (nice guy, usually have a chat - not this time though)
- Steve Barnes (ex 'Ace Racing Team', with Tim Gould)
- Phil Hinchcliffe (20+ times 'Three Peaks CX competitor, & a good fell-runner)
- Norah & Phil Thackray (parents of my near namesake & ex GB Cyclo-Cross squad rider)

Results when known (& pics)

AyJay

Über Member
Well done and excellent photos. :thanks:

Top Bottom