First day at school!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it's finally here...my daughter starts primary school today and I must say that I'm a bit nervous! She should have started in September but the special school that she'll be attending was over-subscribed so they've only just managed to get her a place. She's got transport there and they're picking her up in about 15mins. Going to be very weird just putting her into a stranger's car but I think we're more worried than her as she's pretty oblivious to it all.

I'm going into work late so that I can be there for the wife (well that's the excuse...I think I'm more stressed out than her!)

She gets dropped back at home this afternoon and can't wait to see how her day went...fingers crossed!

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ah distant memories, will be for you too before you know it. Good luck it will be fine.

Sandra6

Veteran
It can be hard enough leaving them at the door that first day, bundling them into a strange car must be an added worry. For you. Your daughter will be fine.
Don't be surprised to hear she's done nothing when she gets home though, always seemed to be the stock answer given by mine.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Well it's finally here...my daughter starts primary school today and I must say that I'm a bit nervous! She should have started in September but the special school that she'll be attending was over-subscribed so they've only just managed to get her a place. She's got transport there and they're picking her up in about 15mins. Going to be very weird just putting her into a stranger's car but I think we're more worried than her as she's pretty oblivious to it all.

I'm going into work late so that I can be there for the wife (well that's the excuse...I think I'm more stressed out than her!)

She gets dropped back at home this afternoon and can't wait to see how her day went...fingers crossed!
I'm sure she'll have a fantastic day!
Hugs to all!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think the parents are normally more stressed than the child. I don't know whats worse. A child who is upset at leaving they're mum and dad, or a child that is happy to go and waves at you. my son hated going, my daughter was as happy as larry. That upset me as well, as my only thought was she is happy to be away from me.:laugh: she will be fine, and she will have great time. Good luck.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thank you for all of your replies. In the end we waited 30 mins on the road for the mini-bus to come (we were given a pick up time of 8.05am and told that the bus would only wait for a maximum of 4 minutes before it left without her!!! It arrived at 8.35am). Unfortunately, our house is down a small path away from the road so we won't be able to see when it arrives.

On the bright side though is that the driver seemed very friendly and said that Lissy will be picked up at 8.35 from now on, as she's the youngest, he didn't want her to have to be in the bus on her own so he's made us the last stop before it goes on to the school.

She kind of looked a bit confused by the whole thing as she left and put her hands over her eyes :sad:. I think it's hard as she won't be able to tell us about her day as she can't talk - also there's no opportunity to talk to the teacher...oh well I'm sure she'll love it.

Chikdren going to school is always a major upheaval for the parents more than the child. Obviously your experience differs to my in the circumstances you describe but she is going to a place of learning run by people who care, understand and know what they're doing.

She will flourish and you will be proud when you notice a new development has been achieved.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Chikdren going to school is always a major upheaval for the parents more than the child. Obviously your experience differs to my in the circumstances you describe but she is going to a place of learning run by people who care, understand and know what they're doing.

She will flourish and you will be proud when you notice a new development has been achieved.
Thank you! When you put it like that, I know that she'll be fine and that we're being a little bit melodramatic! Just rang my wife and she said that she'd called the school and that they said that she'd settled into the morning well.

Thank you! When you put it like that, I know that she'll be fine and that we're being a little bit melodramatic! Just rang my wife and she said that she'd called the school and that they said that she'd settled into the morning well.
It is your job as a dad to worry unnecessarily.

Forever.

I used to be the strong, practical, pragmatic type. Reasoned everything through. Since having two daughters I just worry all the flippin time! My wife is now the sensible one - and that's saying something!!

Sandra6

Veteran
Just a thought re communication, ask the school to use a diary. Its quite common for a parent to be out of the loop when a child is taken to/picked up by someone else so using a diary means you can send a message or ask a question and the teacher can pass on information in return.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Friend of mine has just started her young one at nursery, which is on the same site as the Birmingham QE Hospital.
Plan is to take her in on the first day, and then go and have a drink at Costa Coffee in the hospital itself. As they are used to customers bursting into tears there. She won't feel out-of-place.

Do you communicate by signs?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sound like everything went fine. Here's my experience for what it's worth. Elder son receives transportation and has been to nursery/school/college every school day for years. He's 18 now and still going in a taxi or minibus every day. He must have had at least 20 drivers in that time. Without exception they have been great and he has become friends with several of them over the years. We've found them to be very efficient. If there's ever a delay they're on the phone to let us know

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hope she's had a good day; I'm sure you've worked out ways of communicating with her even though she can't talk - and she'll let you know how it was.

And yes, you're being a typical "my child's first day at school" parent. Been there, done that (twice!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom